Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DerekC

Suzuki
Hot do I clean Carb on 04 LTZ400

5 posts in this topic

Was running great very low hours but sat for a while and now back fires and sputters when I open up throttle.

Do not have manual

I see lots of posts on the web to clean the carb but not sure how? Take the bottom bowl off maybe? How complicated/easy is it to remove the carb?

What I have done-

Drained the fuel in carb overboard with the littel screw at bottom

Fresh gas in the tank

Checked the air fileter looks great

I found what looks to be the spark pug burried in the middle of the head but not sure how to get it out. It's tight in there.

Not sure how to get the plastics off

Does anyone know where any pictures or directions are on the web?

Thanks

Got a manual now:applause:

How am I supposed to remove the plastic rivets that hold he plastic on?:bonk:

Ok Newbie, let me go over the basics.

To get the rivets out take a small phillips screwdriver and gently press in the center, it will push in and then the rivet will release, too hard you will break it.

In your toolkit that came with the bike is a plug socket and 17mm? wrench.

Use those to take the plug out, gap a new plug to specs, do not over torque.

The gas tank has a few 10 or 11mm bolts that makes life easier.

Disconnect the fuel line to the petcock while smoking a j, just kidding.

Do not break the petcock (no jokes here beavis and butthead) when putting the tank back in.

To remove the carb remove the tank and side plastics.

Take it to a good shop and have them rebuild it.

When reinstalling be careful of vacuum leaks from not lining up the carb rubber boot tabs on top.

Chances are you just fouled a plug or have bad gas.

Possibly dirt in carb from loose air filter or bad gas.

Good Luck

Kevin

PS> Usually cheaper to just go to the dealer and have them do the service with oil, filter, plug, valve adjustment, then move into carb rebuild if still not running right.

Was running great very low hours but sat for a while and now back fires and sputters when I open up throttle.

Do not have manual

I see lots of posts on the web to clean the carb but not sure how? Take the bottom bowl off maybe? How complicated/easy is it to remove the carb?

What I have done-

Fresh gas in the tank

I found what looks to be the spark pug burried in the middle of the head but not sure how to get it out. It's tight in there.

Thanks

did you by chance remove the air box lid ?

Do not have manual

What I have done-

Fresh gas in the tank

Thanks

You clean it the same way that you would clean any other carb