Exhaust Problems??

I was riding this past Saturday and again last night on a MX track and have noticed that my silencer has gotten a lot louder :) and I have lost :D some of the "hit" in the midrange. The bike is very quick to rev now. After the ride last night I noticed the silencer had some kind of rattle in it. Not anything loose, just very tinny. Is it broke??, does it just need repacking?? The manual says to check and replace if neccessary. What does that mean?? Help, going to get kicked off the track soon....

------------------

99 YZ400 Stock!!

[This message has been edited by Kris Stratton (edited 06-13-2000).]

Hey Nick,

My silencer has never been apart. The bike is in it's second season now. I guess I have to drill those rivets out and repack now?? I didn't know that you had to do this to these bikes like the two strokes. Have you replaced your packing yet?? Which rivets should I drill out?? The set at the back or the front of the silencer? I am sure that my silencer will never look as pretty as it does now after I attempt to drill these rivets out.

Kris,

I pulled my pipe apart because the bike wasn't running properly. I thought it may have been a due to the packing, but I was wrong. My packing was still good. I had only ridden it for a year. I pulled the whole thing apart. It's not hard to rivet it back together properly. My muffler looks like new now.

Nick

Thanks, Nick

I am going to pull it apart and try repacking it. I am pretty sure that the silencer is the problem. A couple of buddies had mentioned to me as well about the extra noise that my bike was putting out. Thanks for the info.

------------------

99 YZ400 Stock!!

Kris,

You shouldn't have to replace the packing in a four stroke muffler as much as a two stroke because you don't premix. Of course, after a lot of riding you will have to. The rattle may be a rivet that broke loose. This happened to me.

Nick