Brass oil filter looked like an hour glass!!!!

WR250, which OEM filter were you using? How does the collapsed filter equate to oil starvation? Of all the Yamaha brass filters I have ever seen, none would cause oil starvation as they were/are simply to porous. Thanks for any additional information.

?

Paul

The filter from my 426 collasped on the second use, as you say "Like an hourglass". I have a different filter in now, it is also on its 2nd use with about 100 miles on it. I guess I should remove it and see what condition it is in. If it is also collasped, then I think I am plugging it up during my "cleaning" process. ?

x2

What is everyone's opinion on the number of uses you can get out of a stock Yamaha brass filter? I've been rotating between three of them and have probably used each at least five times. As I change my oil a fair amount, after a clean up, they look as new as the day I got them. Thankfully I haven't experienced the "hourglass" look yet.

Any reason to discard and buy new if they still look great?

I've been using the same one for the laset6 months or more. I go more by what it looks like rather than # of changes. Usually, the rubber pieces on the end break before the brass gets messed up. ?

Pmaust, it was the Yamaha brass filter for the 462, 250, 450 ect...

The filter was sucked in. Like if you took a beer can and squeezed the middle of it.

I figure it was starving for oil cause if the oil was flowing, the filter would not have been sucked in.

WR250, this subject is very interesting to me. I'm just trying to understand what is going on. The brass filters are very porous. Therefore, it doesn't seem possible that enough vacume could be created to cause it to collapse like a can that is sealed except for the hole. I am not saying it can't happen. It just sounds very improbable to me. As I am writing this, I have a brass filter right here in front of me. I sealed my lips up to the hole against the gasket. I can blow with all my might or suck with all my might and the air passes right through it(I realize that 10w40 oil is thicker than air but, I still can't see that it would not continue to flow right through it). I am now sacraficing this filter for another test. I am sqeezing it between my thumb and index finger to try and obtain an hour glass bend in the middle. Hold on.... I will update this post in a little while with pictures. As I said, I squeezed the filter as hard as I could. I even used two hands. I barely got an hour glass indentation by doing that. Even with that kind of external pressure exherted against the filter and resultant indentations the flow of the filter does not appear to be hindered enough to cause oil starvation. It just seems like to me that there must be something else going on here. :D?

Lets see if this turns out.

fc51fcfd.jpg

As can be seen from this photo, even if the compression went all the way around the filter it still would not prevent oil from flowing through it. Maybe I am missing something? It sure would be nice to see a photo of the original filter.

Thanks, Paul

Paul, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the length of the two filters or the way they mount is a bit different and they are just getting squished. ?

I don't know the difference between how much oil flow there is in the 450 compared to the 426. I find it hard to believe they changed to paper to save weight, although that may be the reason. :D

I don't see how the filter can be sucked in either. I have been wondering if it is an improper installation issue. My 426 has a blue rubber seal on each end with two "tips" (for lack of a better term) ? which must be alligned with the holes in each end of the filter. If the tips were not in the holes and the cover were tightened, the filter could be collapsed. The collapsing along with oil flow could result in the picture above?? Maybe?? OK , maybe I'm reaching, but just an idea.

As far as paper vs. brass, I don't see that the weight would be significant. But the cost would be and would guess they went to paper to save $$$$$! :D And also so they can sell another filter every oil change.

:D

The Blue One, the issue of paper vs brass is an unsettled subject. I would think that the paper filter should filter a little better. We don't know how well the brass ever filtered. Also, the size of the holes in the brass would suggest that they would allow fairly large amounts of average size particles to pass through. The paper filter should catch more average size particles. But, cold starting would be more of an issue with the paper than the brass. Also, the presence of condensation tends to cause the paper to swell thereby restricting flow even more. All of this results in more oil being bypassed thereby negating the benefits of the filter entirely. Since the manufacturer makes no stated claims about the filter and Yamaha makes no stated claims about the filter, we are totally at their mercy on this subject.

I guess my advice would be to use the recommended filter for the 450 and the recommended filter for the 426. Or, perhaps take a look at using a stainless filter which in my opinion is superior to the brass and has advantages over the paper. But, take this with a grain of salt as there has never been an independent study done on any of these filters. ?