HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dirtfanatic50

A couple 05 WR 450F fork questions

6 posts in this topic

What type forks does my 05 wr450 have, twin chamber or cartridge, How can you tell ? All I know is there 48mm KYB , I'm planning on changing the seals And have saw video's for doing both types, Also I have a manual to help me along.

And are there any good alternatives to oem seals? I'm concidering Synergy seals. Has anyone used these, And do you like them. Just looking for some good seals that will last. Also have heard that a lot of the aftermarket ones are no good. Any info useful, Thank you

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a Showa-like twin chamber. I think it's called Air Oil Separate System.

What type forks does my 05 wr450 have, twin chamber or cartridge, How can you tell ? All I know is there 48mm KYB , I'm planning on changing the seals And have saw video's for doing both types, Also I have a manual to help me along.

And are there any good alternatives to oem seals? I'm concidering Synergy seals. Has anyone used these, And do you like them. Just looking for some good seals that will last. Also have heard that a lot of the aftermarket ones are no good. Any info useful, Thank you

They are cartridge forks.

I have the exact same bike. This the one I used which was perfect.

be sure to get yourself a 48mm seal driver. I tried the trick with PVC tubing before, but it didn't work out for me. It does work for some though. The proper fork seal driver was a lot easier to work with.

I blew a seal out this weekend so I'm doing a seal job also. What oil wt. should I put in?

Yes thank you , They are canister type. I checked the shop. Bought a new seal driver & bullit off ebay really cheap, Also saw that video before and a couple others, seems to be a pretty simple job. Can't wait to get started.

Thanks again.

To maddog ,The manual just says ( suspension oil S1 )

Yes thank you , They are canister type. I checked the shop. Bought a new seal driver & bullit off ebay really cheap, Also saw that video before and a couple others, seems to be a pretty simple job. Can't wait to get started.

Thanks again.

To maddog ,The manual just says ( suspension oil S1 )

The S1 is Yamaha 's suspension oil...expensive!! We've been using 5wt BelRay...seems to work just fine. I believe that the S1 is a bit less in "weight" than 5wt.

Maddog: are you sure that the seal is gone? Maybe you just have some dirt (Ohio mud) in it. Have you tried the film trick?