WR400 baja designs kit-replacing ni-cad

OK, I've read a lot of threads on this forum-so much help...So now I think I know what would be the best thing to do to this WR400 with a Baja Designs lighting kit. I want to replace the cheesy little ni-cad battery pack with a lead/acid battery. Does anyone know the specs I would need for a small sealed lead/acid automotive battery, ie, amperage, voltage, etc.

Thanks for any info!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you want to do this? that battery is small and chessy for a reason. It is designed only to run the tail light for 30 seconds in the event of an accident. it serves no other purpose all your lights are run off AC power.

If you ride on the street alot then it may be a saftey concern. If you run dirt only (mostly) why would you want to add a big heavy battery???

Got any pictures of your wr400 I convert mine to Supermoto also but I have some electrical issues to fix yet

Let me know what issues you have and I'll do what I can to help. I do need to take some pics of the bike. I'll post them soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know the specs I would need for a small sealed lead/acid automotive battery, ie, amperage, voltage, etc.

Thanks for any info!

You should be good with any 12V SEALED lead acid battery with capacity of 2AH and up. (GP1222, GP1245 etc.)

thank you. Also, I ran my bike without a battery in it for a few days and burned up bulbs...it is a 2001 wr 426 with baja designs kit. Is the voltage regulator/rectifier bad, or does not having a battery in it somehow bypass the regulator?

The BD and other (trailtech’s, etc.) regulator/rectifier units are designed to run with a battery or a DC capacitor connected in parallel to their (+) and (-) output leads

or to (+) and the charge-limiting lead.

Running a RR without a battery/capacitor is a bad idea. Doing so may result in permanent damage to the RR unit and/or onboard electronics.

I bought a 12V 2.5 AH lead-acid battery, and I need to know if it has to be right side up, or will it be okay at any angle in my airbox.

IFAIK, most modern sealed type batteries can be placed at any angle and even upside down.

Do not forget to check it for leaks after several rides.

I've been running the bike for a couple weeks now on the Ni-cad battery and it's working fine. What I did was hard wire a battery tender quick disconnect to the battery pack. Every time I park the bike in the garage, I connect it. Everything's been working perfectly. I'm also running a Trailtech "Vapor" computer and it seems to have little to no draw on the charging system. If I let the bike sit for a couple minutes with the engine off and lights on, strictly on battery power, it does die within 15 or 20 minutes but there's not really any reason to do this anyway so it's a non issue. I think it's not too bad of a set up as long as you have a trickle charger.

I've been running the bike for a couple weeks now on the Ni-cad battery and it's working fine. What I did was hard wire a battery tender quick disconnect to the battery pack. Every time I park the bike in the garage, I connect it. Everything's been working perfectly. I'm also running a Trailtech "Vapor" computer and it seems to have little to no draw on the charging system. If I let the bike sit for a couple minutes with the engine off and lights on, strictly on battery power, it does die within 15 or 20 minutes but there's not really any reason to do this anyway so it's a non issue. I think it's not too bad of a set up as long as you have a trickle charger.

You can install a toggle switch between the battery and the regulator/rectifier to disconnect the battery from the lighting circuit (the R/R output) when the bike is not in use.

This will drastically decrease the discharge rate of your battery and extend its life.?