Let's Talk Gearing (WR-450)

Thanks for all the info so far guys! We are collecting some good experienced opinions on what to use for what type of riding we are doing.

Anyone completely happy staying with stock? If so weigh in here and let us know what type of riding your doing.

Keep the set ups coming!

http://gearingcommander.com/

I can't take credit for this link...it was posted on another Yamaha forum.

It contains some awesome data. Just enter your bike at the top and then sit back and look at all the data! It is amazing!

I've got an '07 WR that currently has stock gearing. I ride singletrack and steep hills the vast majority of the time and am always finding myself wanting 2nd and 3rd to be lower. Too often I have found that 3rd will bog in the fast but tight stuff and second is way too much. 13/52 might just allow me to put it in 3rd and forget it.

I have a Plated 2003 WR450.    I ride everything from tight single-tracks, jeep-trails, short hops on the highway, to 50+ miles on the 70mph California Freeway.   After a lot of experimentation, I went with a 41 rear sprocket and I put on a 12, 13, 14, or 15 in the front depending on where I'm going riding.  I had the chain cut correctly, so all combinations work.   I have the front sprocket change routine down to about 35 minutes now.    When I hit the tight trails, I throw the 12 in on the front which puts the ratio at 3.42 which is just a tad faster than what you would have with a 15/50 (3.30 ratio).   With this setup, the bike can hit any single track and/or hills with no problem.  If I have to hit the street between trails, short term top speed burst is 85mph, but a continuous 65mph is pushing it a bit, I'd rather keep it at 55mph so I don't over-rev it.   My favorite all-around gear combo is 14/41 where 22% faster than stock 14/50 (2.93 ratio) which allows me to do all but the toughest single tracks (some clutching required) but also gives me my max burst top speed at 94mph, and a comfortable constant freeway cruise speed of 70mph.    When I know that I won't be hitting the dirt and want to go 50+ miles on the road, I slip on the tall 15/41 (2.73 ratio) which is 31% taller than stock and like I've lost first gear but gained a sixth gear.   The top end is actually slower by 1mph than the 14/41 combo but I can drive it all day purring on the freeway at 75mph without concern.  I really like the flexibility that I have with these sets of gears.    BTW, this is all with stock 18 inch rims and knobby Dunlop D606 Tires.

When discussing gearing, beware that the primary gearing on WRs has changed at least once.

Primary ratio    drive gear pn           driven gear pn
2005 WRF    62:22            5TJ-16111-00-00    5XD-16150-20-00
2013 WRF    61:23            2S2-16111-60-00    5XD-16150-60-00

It appears the 2012+ WRs are geared faster than the previous models.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

I've got an '07 WR that currently has stock gearing. I ride singletrack and steep hills the vast majority of the time and am always finding myself wanting 2nd and 3rd to be lower. Too often I have found that 3rd will bog in the fast but tight stuff and second is way too much. 13/52 might just allow me to put it in 3rd and forget it.

You'd love 12/50, maybe 12/48 being your bike has lower primary gearing than my 2012.   Edit: 12/48 is the same as 13/52 !

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

I think the gearing changed when they went to the aluminum frame

Ok I know this is an old thred but I will try anyways. I have a 2007 wr450 I will be ridding it 60/40 street dirt most of my street ridding will be back road and California highway so 75+mph and my dirt is mostly desert trekking and fire roads some hill climbs but nothing crazy. Ow Ya and I weigh 155lbs any help on what to do gearing wise 14t or 15t

13/48 is what I run everywhere. It's a bit short for open desert and Baja. It's a bit tall for tight one track but overall is pretty good and still 90 MPH capable. It's not far off from the stock 13/50 which is pretty darn good.

Well I am new to all of this..... My bike (2008) WR450F.... Has a 14/48 combo.....The previous owner gave me a 50 sprocket with the bike. If I throw the 50 on what effect will it have on my bike? I wouldn't mind using more of gears....I almost never even ring out 4th with the riding I do.

Thanks, Chris

^ then go to the 50. The 50 will give lower gearing and less top end. If you ride single track or a lot of down hill. You will like a lower gear. I like a lower gear especially for downhill, because I do use engine braking.

Thanks for the reply.....that's what I needed to know.

I will throw it on at the next tire change.

Cheers