Coolant for YZF426

You can use straight distilled water, and it is actually the most effective coolant you can run, but it boils at about 225-230 under pressure, and offers no corrosion protection.

Any automotive coolant can be used, except Dex-Cool, as can any product specifically made for motorcycles. There are essentially two chemical types, and each is typically packaged in one of two ways.

Ethylene Glycol coolants are the common green automotive coolants.

Propylene Glycol coolants are less toxic, and became popular when people became concerned that little fuzzy animals would drink from the vast pools of anti-freeze that you see everywhere (you see them, don't you?). They are generally labeled as "non-toxic", or "environmentally safe", or something. They do not appear to offer any significant advantage over EG products as coolants other than a very slightly higher boiling point, and they have some distinct disadvantages if not changed out at least annually.

Either one is usually sold either straight, which requires dilution to a 50/50 mix, or as a ready to use, pre-mixed product, which will obviously be more expensive.

A lot has been made of the silicate content of some of these products. The matter is open to debate, but if the coolant is changed once a year or so, it's not a factor.

I prefer EG coolant mixed 50/50.

• 1 month later...
Just wanting to know a bit of info on what coolant to run through my 426. does it have to be mixed 50/50 like a car or what? Can you use coolant to put in cars or is there a special coolant for bike?

I have a 2000 YZ426F and I ride the woods a lot. The coolant was bubbling over almost every ride in the high demand areas of our ride. I started using Engine Ice and the problem went away. little spendy, but worht every penny. I no longer have to ever worry about overheating the coolant. Good luck :excuseme:

Gray Racer said all that needs to be said. Wise words from a wise man.

P.S. I think Propylene Glycol is what I was given to drink before my colonoscopy. Mix it with Gatorade, and if you get stranded, you can drink your coolant! (Just kidding!)

(Maybe it was Polyethylene Glycol....)

Edited by l_campionero

Dex cool is garbage however it has been improved its orgnic and turns to a mushy crud in the presence or air. The best coolant I have ever used on anything is volkwagen G12 coolant. It is a lifetime coolant and really does last forever while maintaing lubrication and color (gay pink). I dont know how expensive it is becaue I just use whats at the shop. IMO its the only good thing under the hood of a vw. I use it in my raptor and yz and don't intend to ever change it unitl a leak occurs of course.

I started using Engine Ice and the problem went away. little spendy, but worht every penny.
Engine Ice is a very highly functional product, as I mentioned earlier, but it's frankly well overpriced. And anecdotal evidence of this type is quite common. Normally, what has happened is that one has replace worn or diluted, or improperly mixed coolant with fresh EI and the results are good, so the product, rather than the simple freshness and correct ratio gets the credit. I have used Engine Ice, and both ready-to-use EG products and EG coolant mixed from concentrate, and as long as they are all fresh, there's not much difference in their boil-over resistance as far as I can tell.

The fact is that Engine Ice is really not much more than distilled water and propylene glycol coolant at a 50/50 ratio, and has a boiling point only 7-12 degrees higher than plain old automotive ethylene glycol coolants (by actual test). As an propylene glycol product, EI is more subject to oxidization and acidification than EG products, and should be changed at least annually.

Why not Dex-Cool....just wondering?

Dex-Cool has been implicated in a number of different cooling system problems, including unexplained electrolytic corrosion, developing sludge when operated at low coolant levels, etc. As a former long time GM technician, I won't use it. The low coolant issue becomes important with a YZF because the coolant level is occasionally reduced by minor losses to boiling, and in any case, in a non-coolant recovery system, the is usually some air in the radiator.

The original purpose of Dex-Cool was a 150,000 mile coolant change interval, something no dirt bike needs.

Read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze#Organic_acid_technology

Gray Racer said all that needs to be said. Wise words from a wise man.

P.S. I think Propylene Glycol is what I was given to drink before my colonoscopy. Mix it with Gatorade, and if you get stranded, you can drink your coolant! (Just kidding!)

(Maybe it was Polyethylene Glycol....)

Funny man:lol:...it's polyethylene glycol, we call it PEG in the lab. Your body won't absorb it so it goes right thru you!:excuseme:

Thanks for the reasoning Grey! I'll stay clear of Dex-Cool in all my vehicles!