yz426f? Is it any good?? Realiable? Need some advice.

Hello, im deciding between a yz426f or a yz250f. But im just worried about that since the bike im looking at is a 2002, but do they still make parts for the 426? Also what about reliablility? Im mainly looking for any engine problems. Has anybody had any problems with the valves? Also, is the bike heavier than a 450? How many gears does the yz426f have? Also, how is the suspension. is the suspension good for jumping on the 426? Also is it an all around good bike? Or would you go with the yz250f. thanks! Would it be better just to buy a newer 250f, or maybe a 450f? All comments would be apreciated. Thanks for the advice!!!!!

The 426 is a great bike.... maybe one of the best all-around bikes ever made. Parts are easy to get and pretty reasonable. The only hard to find item for them is decent graphics.

The 426's are 5 speeds. 2000 models had SS valves, the 2001-02's had Ti valves.... SS is more durable, but there are plenty of folks still running the original Ti valves in the 01/02's. The suspension's stock valving will beat you to death, but a good tuner can work miracles with the stock fork and shock.

At 220 lbs, a 250F wouldn't be a good choice for me... my wife has a 250F with a 290cc kit. It screams, but lacks the fun factor the big bores have. The 426 is a heavy bike, but in all honesty, I really only notice the weight when I throw it on a bike stand.... they don't feel that heavy when your riding. :busted:

Well right now i have a ttr125 but i have ridden a 250 2 stroke. a yz450f, and a yz250f. But dont know about the 426, because i hear they are junk, but thats wat i just heard. Has your been reliable for you? Also will it keep up with 450s?

Has your been reliable for you? Also will it keep up with 450s?

Its been very reliable, but very well maintained too. The 426 power is really close to the newer 450's.

I've had my 426 since it was new in May 2002. No problems with anything to date. A very reliable bike. I check the valves every 15 hours, had to shim them 1 time and I change the oil every 3 hours. No complaints whatsoever.

Bill

Whoever told you the 426 is junk doesn't know much about them. They're one of the best bikes in terms of build quality and reliability. Parts are very easy to find. Graphics can be tricky, but I found a company that makes graphics (and makes them for the 400/426, updating them every year) - Face Lift Unlimited (fludesigns.com)

Sure they're a bit heavy compared to the newer YZ450s, but it's not really an issue, especially open riding. I feel that my YZ426 is more stable at high speeds in open riding, much more so than a 250 two stroke. I think the bike is very well suited for a taller/heavier rider. My brother is 6' 210 and he feels right at home on a 426.

Ceet also makes a graphics for the 426 I love mine, i have a Rm250z and i love the 426 on a track more then that thing and its awesome in the desert

Does your front end come up too.

Does your front end come up too.

lol, on command... i just got my 2002 426 in a trade for my 2005 drz250... i got a GREAT deal. this bike had to have very few hours on it. had it apart this week just doing peace of mind maintenance before i put any hard hours on it and the top end is spotless, valves in spec cam chain nice and tight(i was going to change it due to all that i've been readin on here but it seemed to be as good as the brand new one i was going to replace it with, i know the problem is more in the later 450's and it's a kinking issue more so than anything but still was a little worried) and cams in sync. after changing my oil, oil filter, cleaning the screen, changing my plug, and a new no toil air filter... it feels 10x better... starts first kick now(was a real b1tch to start but i did put a zipty racing fuel screw in too and properly adjusted that also which made it a bit easier too, but i think the new plug really helped. the old spark plug appeared to be the oem one and was pretty cruddy/worn)... the bike sounds a bit clacky but not any more than any of the suzuki's i've owned and now that i know all is in spec i plan on having some fun on this bike. it's a beast :busted:

Im 6'4" and 220lbs the front end only come up when I want it too or when Im drag racing and I have hot cams and a high compression piston in it..

Hey 642MX where did you get the North County Yamaha graphics for your bike?

Hey 642MX where did you get the North County Yamaha graphics for your bike?

From there eBay store.

i'm working on getting a sign shop up and running again. have a roland cutter/printer and plan on doing graphics. especially some for my 426 so i'll be able to do them hopefully soon. SO I CAN DO MY OWN GRAPHICS... gotta go look at the printer/cutter today and see what ribbons i'm going to need and clean anything that needs it.

does your front end come up in 5th gear? Also, hows the suspension when jumping on the yz426f?

I've still got my 02 YZ426 back in Texas and really wish I could get it shipped over here. Riding an 08 YZ450 and still love the 426. Too bad the shipping cost is way more than the bike is worth, as its still in mint condition. Suspension revalved and its great

does your front end come up in 5th gear? Also, hows the suspension when jumping on the yz426f?

Im 6'4" 220 it only comes up when I want it too. and track riding is awesome Im not sure how the stock suspension is I suggest getting aftermarket...

Who would want to wheelie in 5th gear? You'd be going 65 or so...

The stock suspension will beat you to death (as I mentioned earlier). A revalve is in order if you don't want knee surgery at an early age.

i'm working on getting a sign shop up and running again. have a roland cutter/printer and plan on doing graphics. especially some for my 426 so i'll be able to do them hopefully soon. SO I CAN DO MY OWN GRAPHICS... gotta go look at the printer/cutter today and see what ribbons i'm going to need and clean anything that needs it.

Shoot me a PM when you get your graphics made...

Yeah me too I would like to see your graphics Milk

A Buddy of mine has one 6' 2" 180 and he cant keep the wheel on the ground, high piston, 2 1/8 custom titanium header and fmf pipe, pulls the wheel in the air every gear.

Loves it

Edited by OR503-2strkrider