Kdx Hs Mods

I just bout a 02' kdx completely stock for 1300. It came with 2 new tires, Kenda TrakMaster, I believe, and new chain and sprockets as the stock sprocket/chain/tires were cooked. I am looking to make this bike into a harescramble bike. I raced Harescrambels on quads last year and hated it. They really beat the hell out of you. I have not rode a bike since i was 14 (20 now) but i used to do ok in mx on my cr85. I was wondering what mods you guys suggest to turn this machine into a good bike for my purpose? Being in college puts me on a tight budget.

I just bought a skid plate and barkbusters.

I know suspension is key but is there anyway to coax the stock ones to work well. Maybe you guys could give me two options. One on a budget and one ideal set-up.

Oh and how much does a service manual cost for one of these things and where is a good site to buy on off of. I dunno about cyclpedia. I have heard mixed reviews about them.

Thanks

BD444

I just bout a 02' kdx completely stock for 1300. It came with 2 new tires, Kenda TrakMaster, I believe, and new chain and sprockets as the stock sprocket/chain/tires were cooked. I am looking to make this bike into a harescramble bike. I raced Harescrambels on quads last year and hated it. They really beat the hell out of you. I have not rode a bike since i was 14 (20 now) but i used to do ok in mx on my cr85. I was wondering what mods you guys suggest to turn this machine into a good bike for my purpose? Being in college puts me on a tight budget.

I just bought a skid plate and barkbusters.

I know suspension is key but is there anyway to coax the stock ones to work well. Maybe you guys could give me two options. One on a budget and one ideal set-up.

Oh and how much does a service manual cost for one of these things and where is a good site to buy on off of. I dunno about cyclpedia. I have heard mixed reviews about them.

Thanks

BD444

get the suspension set up for you and your weight, get the correct springs, and if you can afford it, have them valved. jet it correctly, if it is still stock there is some power to be found there, along with a cleaner running motor. if you need more power, a pipe and silencer frees up some weight and make a lot of power. i like the kawi manuals best. i got mine on ebay

I like the Kawi shop manual too. Dang things are expensive when you buy them new ($60.00), but since the manual covers '95 to '06 there should be a used one around somewhere to be had for less. Even at the new price it will pay for itself very quickly.

Go to http://www.racetech.com/page.aspx?id=17&menuid=49 and use their calculator to determine what springs you would need for your weight. Spring changes are almost a must on the KDX, front is sprung for around 130lbs, rear is sprung for around 190lbs.

Stock jetting is smoking, plug fouling, rich. Correcting this adds some snap to even a stock KDX, plus it will get way better gas mileage (something to think about in a 2.5 hr race), and your plugs will last a lot longer.

A pipe is nice to have, but if your poor like me, at $200-$225, it's not an absolute nessessity.

Spring it right, get your jetting sorted, make sure everything is in good working order, head for the starting line, and have fun.:busted:

thanks guys....I definitely will cure the jetting up. I will get the springs for the front, but the rear is probably spot on. I weigh 173 and 186 geared up so the rear is fine. I have heard about some shim stack mod to the front. Can anyone explain what this does and how to do it. Thanks for the manual help.

Which bike - the 200 or the 220?

Get sprung correctly and learn all you can about jetting and get that right - FIRST. Next cash outlay find an FMF Gnarly torque pipe and some Boyesen power reeds.

Ideally the best thing for the harescramble races is LOTS of seat time and getting into as good a shape as you can. Cardio, balance, and strength.

You can do other stuff for more power. I went that route and indeed found the successive power improvements were noticeable, but frankly if you tire of the power from the pipe and the reeds move into a higher-performance machine.

But if you're in better shape than the rest of those guys with the high-per machines you'll wear them down on that KDX!!

its a 200..sorry about that. XR400 springs will fit in there? I am thinking about the RB designs mods. Anyone have an opinion on those. They seem very reasonably price and hopefully a good gain in performance.

Best bang for motor buck is probably the RB head mod. The carb mod is also pretty good but you already have the larger 200 carb so that could wait. I would suggest some new reeds - boyseen or Vforce and RB head mod.

But . . . by far the most important thing to do after you clean up jetting is suspension. Either do the XR fork spring/shim stack thing or better find a KX front end off ebay. If you look you can find a good deal for around $300 - 400 for everything you need. Ron Black can help you do the conversion. He will press in stem plus make a shim spacer for you. His work is excellent.

I have an 03' 200 that I have been racing with for two seasons now. When I started racing the bike was bone stock. What I would recamend doing first is removing the air box lid and rejetting. This is cheap and you can feel the difference. Next I got a used pro circuit pipe pipe off of ebay, that is another thing that will make a big difference. However after doing all this I realized I couldn't really ride any faster. So I had the rear shock rebuilt and revalved, then I put on 00' KX250 forks. Now I started going somewhere, the suspension is very important and will make a big difference when it comes to going faster. The final thing I did was add a scotts damper. Besides the suspension upgrades the damper helped A LOT. I bought mine used for $100 and it was definitely worth the money. However after doing all this I still get beat by riders in the vintage class that have bikes with 4" of suspension travel, so in the end going faster all comes down to the rider, so do some upgrades, then practice, practice, practice.

DSCF1192.jpg

16869945-IMG_1041.jpg