HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smithjeb

Crank Timing

5 posts in this topic

Newbie here. Did search but can't find the answer here.

I am adjusting the valves. Look through the timing hole to crank and there is 3 marks " I I I " - which one is TDC?. If I line it up on the 3rd mark then the cams are in the correct place (alignment dots at 180 degrees flat with top of case -just like in the manual). If I line it up with the center mark cams are not in correct location - slightly off.

2008 YZ450F - any guidance here ? Not sure why there are three marks, manual only shows one ?

Thanks for your help.

Most YZ's have an 'H' and then an 'I'. You want to line it up with the 'I' in this case, which I guess would be the third line.

Look more closely. The first two, from left to right, are joined with a horizontal bar, forming the previously mentioned "H". The third vertical line is the "I", and the TDC mark.

Perfect, thanks. This makes sense. Thank you for the responses - excellent to have a place to come to when taking on late night projects :busted: