What bars feel the most like Windhams?

Here's the deal: I had Windhams on my bike and loved them. I then got a Scotts sub mount and put the stock 07 YZ bars back on. I don't like them near as much but the Windhams were too high with the submount. So what bars will feel the most like Pro Taper Windhams? I am guessing the Carmichael or the RM low in the Pro Taper flavor? I looked at several sites but am having a hard time translating the numbers into what the bars will feel like. I think I am looking for something with little no sweep and no rise on the end of the bars. It doesn't matter what brand.

Thanks,

Nate

Copied from this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799716

I'm 6'3" 195lbs, use the scotts submount with offset triples, and charmichael evo's...Love it...

Stock bars are about 74mm...

The scotts submount and tall risers add 25mm...

The Windham is 99mm (this seems to be the preference for tall guys without a submount)...

The Carmichaels are 77mm with a similar sweep to the Windhams, so with the 25mm from the submount, it's at 102mm...PERFECT!

One thing that isn't ever listed in any of the bar dimensions is the relative fore/aft hand position. When both bars are set in the zero rotated position, the Windhams place your hands a good 15mm farther forward than the YZ High or Henry bends do. That, to me, is at least as important as the rise, and it's something you won't get with a low bent bar on a sub mount unless you have the mount made to offset the bars forward.

Thanks for the replies. I know I won't get the same forward position as the Windhams, but I don't mind that so much. What I dislike about my current bars (YZ high) is the sweep and rise at the end of the bars. So I might try the Carmichaels and see how it feels.

Nate

Thanks for the replies. I know I won't get the same forward position as the Windhams, but I don't mind that so much. What I dislike about my current bars (YZ high) is the sweep and rise at the end of the bars. So I might try the Carmichaels and see how it feels.

Nate

Do you like less sweep? I do it puts me more in the attack position which really helps when riding a YZf I have Renthal twinwalls in 06 YZf they don't match the actual 06 YZf bend though. They are low and barely swept back. Might be what you are looking for might not hope it helps.

Copied from this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799716

I'm 6'3" 195lbs, use the scotts submount with offset triples, and charmichael evo's...Love it...

Stock bars are about 74mm...

The scotts submount and tall risers add 25mm...

The Windham is 99mm (this seems to be the preference for tall guys without a submount)...

The Carmichaels are 77mm with a similar sweep to the Windhams, so with the 25mm from the submount, it's at 102mm...PERFECT!

+1 I am 6' and have the same set up as Goose with the Protaper Carmichael bend and 24mm Applied Triple Clamps. I tried the YZ high and they were OK but the Carmichaels feel the best with the submount.

I also have the Scotts submount on my KTM530 with the Carmichael bend and it is very comfortable.

What I dislike about my current bars (YZ high) is the ...rise at the end of the bars.
You get rid of that by rotating the bar rearward. But then, of course, they may be too far back. But that's why I like the Windhams
You get rid of that by rotating the bar rearward. But then, of course, they may be too far back. But that's why I like the Windhams

I tried rotating the bars backward but they were too far back. I did love the Windhams when I had them. Almost makes me wish I didn't have the submount.

Do you like less sweep? I do it puts me more in the attack position which really helps when riding a YZf I have Renthal twinwalls in 06 YZf they don't match the actual 06 YZf bend though. They are low and barely swept back. Might be what you are looking for might not hope it helps.

How is the rise at the end of the bars? One thing I don't like about my current bend is if I rotate them forward the ends of the bars rise to high and its puts my wrists in an unnatural position. Also what renthal bend are they?

Nate

I believe the Carmichael's have almost the exact same sweep as the Windham's just not as much rise (which you want since the submount adds 25mm)...

I also cut half an inch off each end, and rotate the bars forward a bit to the +1 mark...

I'd be super surprised if I'd be able to find a setup that is more comfortable for me...

Having a tall seat, wide pegs, and taller bars has made such a noticeable difference in how many hours I can ride in a day...

The addition of steering stabilizer and rubber mount clamps gives the bike a really smooth feel, way less vibration transferred to your arms...

Just simply the bars being in the right position can even reduce arm pump and fatigue...

Whatever you choose, throw on some dual density pillow top grips!

How is the rise at the end of the bars? One thing I don't like about my current bend is if I rotate them forward the ends of the bars rise to high and its puts my wrists in an unnatural position. Also what renthal bend are they?

Nate

They are practically like a broomstick on your triple clamps. They are low and have little sweep. Here is a link they are at the bottom 06YZ/YZF bend.

http://www.renthal.com/File/product3d.asp?productid=0&tabtype=5&zone=&biketype=&manufacturer=&model=&bikedate=

How about using Renthal Twinwall McGrath bars? Height is 83mm and sweep 55mm

Good info, thanks. Sounds like I have a couple of good choices. I'll try and make a decision and get some ordered.

Nate

Your welcome good luck!