HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StPeters21

Wierd clutch problem????

4 posts in this topic

I have a 2006 YZ450. I have replace the entire clutch(Barnett carbon fiber), inner basket, outer basket, Stopper lever, and boss. I have an inconsistant problem. The clutch just doesn't seem to disengage. I just don't know where to look from here??? Unless it could be the actuator arm or push rod, I just don't have a clue at this point?

Thanks for your help. :busted:

I have a 2006 YZ450. I have replace the entire clutch(Barnett carbon fiber), inner basket, outer basket, Stopper lever, and boss. I have an inconsistant problem. The clutch just doesn't seem to disengage. I just don't know where to look from here??? Unless it could be the actuator arm or push rod, I just don't have a clue at this point?

Thanks for your help. :busted:

after all the help I got???

I figured out what it was. The barnett clutch will not work with the synthetic oil. The clutch plates are sticking to the steels and not letting them spin. Anyway I have to get another clutch or change oil. I've ran amsoil from day 1 so...... Guess it's the clutch that's going.

I haven't been on this forum for awhile so I had to read what you found if anything.......Funny thing is I had the same problem years ago with my BSA 500 (B50MX) seems I used Caster bean oil in the engine and didn't realize it lubed the clutch to and the same thing happened...hahaha glad you figured it out...:busted:

It's not the oil, it's the plates, although they may be sensitive to the oil. Keep the trick hardware and substitute a set of OEM plates. You should be fine.

It's off topic, but the primary case oil in the B50, as with virtually every British bike of the day, was a separate oil supply, and did not come from the engine, unless there was a significant leak at the left of the crank. The clutch, technically, was considered a dry clutch. The oil was there for the chain only, and the clutch was "oil tolerant", but not expected to be very wet.

The bike, like all others of its kind, had a dry sump engine oil supply, and two separate oil supplies for the chain case and transmission. However, as you say, castor is HIGHLY unsuitable for any clutch.