HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
e30M3

Flywheel installation question

4 posts in this topic

So I just put the offroad flywheel into my '09. Everything went easy, almost too easy. My question is it seemed to take much more force to pull the old flywheel off than the 40ft pounds of torque it took to put it on. After searching I don't see anything that says to "press" the new one on (not in the factory instruction either).

Just want to make sure I didn't miss a step.

I do have a "once used" flywheel puller for an '09 YZ450 (and CRFs) if anyone is looking for a good deal:thumbsup:

They go back on pretty easy.

No need to press it on,just line up the the slot with the key and bolt it back on.

They go back on pretty easy.

No need to press it on,just line up the the slot with the key and bolt it back on.

That's what I did, thanks. Everything seemed so easy just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Know I just need to do the ball bearing mod the the oil filter bolt. And yes, for the fifth time, you can find the bearings at a bicycle shop:smirk:

That's the way tapered shafts work. The flywheel "wedges" onto the shaft, and binds there. It requires very little clamping force on the part of the nut to hold it from rotating, and even the key does little more than put it in the right location to begin with.