o-ring or non o-ring

DID 520DMA2 is the chain that's on my bike right now and came stock. It has gold side plates on it which I believe is the only upgrade to the chain.

It probably makes a bit of difference that the hit on the 09' Yamaha is quite a bit more tame than any other year/make 450 out there. The YZ250 2 stroke is not the only bike that likes the "torque lever" used a lot. My 09 450 really needs a heavy dose of clutch work.

20 or so hours are cruising desert trails in Reno. The rest are motocross track riding at Mammoth Bar OHV park in N Cal. This is not the biggest, baddest track around and it isn't a sand track but it is a MX track with plenty of W.O.T. time (2nd -4th gear), Air and sharp banked turns

I probably have gotten lucky and took no offense to the comments which I log on to read every morning because of the entertainment factor. I don't mind being the martyr this time...but it's nice to have a "Kimosabe", thanks Cowboy!

My stock chain/sprockets have 7 months on them (not sure on the hours) but over 50 hard hours on them. I must be luckly or maybe I'm not riding very hard but I'm finally replacing both sprockets/chain. I ended up going with an Ironman front and rear with a regina non-o-ring chain. That combo should last me a while. I was told non-o-ring chain have less maintence per say and they are power washer safe. Again, so to speak of course.

I was told non-o-ring chain have less maintence per say and they are power washer safe.
Neither of these is true. As far as being power washer safe, nothing really is. The risk with a sealed chain is that water can be forced under the seals, displacing and contaminating lubricant, and the seals then both impede getting the water back out as well as adding in any replacement lube. This can be avoided by spraying the chain only from the side, parallel to the chain's pins, so that the plates protect the seals from direct spray, and by backing away to about 12" from the chain.

A non-sealed chain is also subject to damage from pressure spraying, although less so. The sprayer can drive not only water, but also dirt under the rollers and into the chain bushings.

As far as maintenance, this is what I do to my ORN-6: The bike is washed with Simple Green, Maxima degreaser, and a garden hose. The Simple Green removes most everything from the outside of the chain. After the chain is allowed to dry for a day or so, I spray it with Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard, which dries to a very low tack, lubes the outside of the seals and the external rollers, and protects it from rust without picking up everything that goes past. It also washes off easily with the aforementioned Simple Green. I know of no non-sealed chain that requires less maintenance than that.

08 yz450F

40 hours on the stock chain, it became so worn out after the last ride that it actually ground a bit of my frame off. (what can you do 50 miles from your truck tho?)

I rode a 3 hour iron man race at pismo beach

I rode at Milestone MX with james bubba stewart on that chain,

I put many miles/hours in the desert with only putting wd40 on it after washing and before each trip.

-Had to adjust it every trip tho (2-3 days)

With that said im now using the DID X-Ring chain, it stretched a little bit on the first ride, and 8 hours later has not moved a milimeter.

I really like my Xring and Renthal 51 tooth Sprocket. this bike is a mountain goat now, only need the flywheel weight to smooth that on/off transition

As far as maintenance, this is what I do to my ORN-6: The bike is washed with Simple Green, Maxima degreaser, and a garden hose. The Simple Green removes most everything from the outside of the chain. After the chain is allowed to dry for a day or so, I spray it with Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard, which dries to a very low tack, lubes the outside of the seals and the external rollers, and protects it from rust without picking up everything that goes past. It also washes off easily with the aforementioned Simple Green. I know of no non-sealed chain that requires less maintenance than that.

I have the same maintenance routine for my O-Ring chain.

Another vote for the o-ring!

call me picky, but the first thing i do when i get a new bike home is strip it to the chasis, only motor is still in, grease all bearings, linkages, steering head, and throw the damn stock chain and sprockets in the trash!!!

!

I'd just call you YZF knowledgable not "picky"...

Either you've lucked out or run around at idle in a clean environment. The stock roller chains I've had have been thrashed after 12-15 hours, with proper adjustment required on every ride.

+1 on the ORN6 o-ring by Regina....I use that on all my dirtbikes now and they last what seems like forever with little to no adjustment required.

i got 40 hours of my stocker on my 07... and changed it when i had to start adjusting it every moto..

If you can fit it w/o a counter shaft spacr, and it won't rub the inside of your frame, O-ring all the way.

On my 450r you either need a spacer (screw that) or run the did narrow vt2. I purchased the vt2 and though it didn't rub the case, it rubbed the hell out of the inside of my frame. I just don't have the room for an o-ring. I just purchased a did 520 nz super roller, heard good things. When it comes down to it, if I can get 20 hrs. out of a $70 chain, that's okay by me.