HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
03rkjc

o-ring or non o-ring

28 posts in this topic

Just bought a new left over 08 YF450F, from what i have read on here the stock chain is junk. Before I wear out both sprockets I want to replace the chain. Just dont know what kind or what brand to order, Thanks for all replys.

Regina gold o-ring chain will last a long time at a fair price. 450 need o-rings or they just destroy non o-ring chains.

after chewing through 3 regular mx chains i switched to a new protaper xring chain and love it! 10+ rides and i hevent even adjusted it yet! its awesome i will never use another non-oring chain! i was told by a friend that worked for vortex sprockets that after 5 mins of riding the oring chain has no more drag than a regular chain anyways, just a little extra weight. grams if u can count those.

The Regina ORN-6 O-ring chain on my '06 is two years old, and I've adjusted it twice.

The quality of the chain is at least as important as whether it's an O-ring or not, and NEVER pressure wash any sealed chain

46 hours on my stock 09 chain with small adjustment every two rides. Improper adjustment will lead to improper chain wear and destroy your sprockets, hubs, output shaft bearings and your neck.

O-ring is the way to go.

And proper care and feeding of your chain helps it live longer.(keep it lubed)

Chain and sprockets are standard wear items.

What type of riding do you do?

If your just trail riding with your buddies, run the stock unit until it needs replaced.

Anytime you need a new sprocket or chain it is best to replace them all.

46 hours on my stock 09 chain with small adjustment every two rides. Improper adjustment will lead to improper chain wear and destroy your sprockets, hubs, output shaft bearings and your neck.

Either you've lucked out or run around at idle in a clean environment. The stock roller chains I've had have been thrashed after 12-15 hours, with proper adjustment required on every ride.

+1 on the ORN6 o-ring by Regina....I use that on all my dirtbikes now and they last what seems like forever with little to no adjustment required.

A year or two ago I tried going the cheaper/lighter route by not getting an o-ring. Constantly adjusting the chain gets old. With my o-ring, after the initial stretch, the constant adjustment "just went away." :busted:

I ride track as a +30 novice class pack leader (slow perhaps but not idling in a clean environment).

The stock chain is starting to go bad now (very quickly) and it started after the first time I soaked it in simple green overnight to get it "clean".

I only sprayed Tri-Flow on it after every set of 3-10 laps, dirty or not prior to this. My assumption - Cleaning chains ruins them. Oiling them and not adjusting them makes them last.

:busted:

46 hours on my stock 09 chain with small adjustment every two rides.

Pushing your bike around the track in neutral does not count as "hours" :busted:

LOL ! 46 hours? I have never seen any stock roller make it past like 20 hours from excessive stretching and trashed outer rollers....

I have had great relibility experiences with DID VM X-ring chains..

I also have a Regina ORN on my KX500, and excellent chain as well, but the Regina seems to be VERY stiff in the dead of winter out on the ice, and seems to take a while to warm up... most people won't have this situation though being just in normal temps..

I ride track as a +30 novice class pack leader (slow perhaps but not idling in a clean environment).

The stock chain is starting to go bad now (very quickly) and it started after the first time I soaked it in simple green overnight to get it "clean".

I only sprayed Tri-Flow on it after every set of 3-10 laps, dirty or not prior to this. My assumption - Cleaning chains ruins them. Oiling them and not adjusting them makes them last.

And using the throttle wil wear them out in a jiffy.......

If you had just put a quality chain on it, you'd have 46 hours on the chain but you would have never had to adjust it!

I milked the stock chain on my 426 for about 50 hours worth of use I'd guess, but I had to adjust it CONSTANTLY. When it finally wore out, I replaced it with an RK X-ring. When I bought my 450 it was one of the first items I bought for it and I've been really happy.

Thanks cowboy for joining me in the ranks of the insulted.:busted:

I'm not sure why my chain has lasted until now but it does seem that using the tool found on this site :busted: to actually align my rear sprocket correctly (vs using the marks on the slider blocks) may have helped. The marks on the slider blocks when properly set had the chain deflection at 1 1/2 inches from rear sprocket to front. This is hardly noticeable to the eye without the tool but will wear a chain out fast due to single sided loading of the chain. :banana:

OK. Back to your regularly scheduled insults.

:banana:

That's the lever on the left right? :banana:

Only if you're riding my YZ250 2 stroke.... :banana:

Thanks cowboy for joining me in the ranks of the insulted.:busted:

I'm not sure why my chain has lasted until now but it does seem that using the tool found on this site :busted: to actually align my rear sprocket correctly (vs using the marks on the slider blocks) may have helped. The marks on the slider blocks when properly set had the chain deflection at 1 1/2 inches from rear sprocket to front. This is hardly noticeable to the eye without the tool but will wear a chain out fast due to single sided loading of the chain. :banana:

OK. Back to your regularly scheduled insults.

I use (and have used for years) a straight edge to align my rear axle in the same fashion. It's amazing how far off the little marks can be.

I was not trying to insult you, but merely point out that it is an EXTREMELY rare case for a stock chain to last very long in the kind of riding I've done. My experience with a properly adjusted stock chain is less than impressive as to the longevity of that chain.

So, like I said, you got lucky. :banana:

I was not trying to insult you, but merely point out that it is an EXTREMELY rare case for a stock chain to last very long in the kind of riding I've done. My experience with a properly adjusted stock chain is less than impressive as to the longevity of that chain.

So, like I said, you got lucky. :busted:

I remain hopeful enough to imagine that it's possible that Yamaha finally upgraded the chain on the '09 model, but it's probably wishful thinking.

Pushing your bike around the track in neutral does not count as "hours" :banana:

LOL ! 46 hours? I have never seen any stock roller make it past like 20 hours from excessive stretching and trashed outer rollers....

I have had great relibility experiences with DID VM X-ring chains..

I also have a Regina ORN on my KX500, and excellent chain as well, but the Regina seems to be VERY stiff in the dead of winter out on the ice, and seems to take a while to warm up... most people won't have this situation though being just in normal temps..

+1 on the DID X-Ring:thumbsup: :busted:

call me picky, but the first thing i do when i get a new bike home is strip it to the chasis, only motor is still in, grease all bearings, linkages, steering head, and throw the damn stock chain and sprockets in the trash!!!

When i bought my 06 YZ450, they were having a night practice bout 15mins fromt he dealer, i just couldnt stand it, so i rode a COMPLETE bone stock bike, i made bout 10 laps, chain was almost layin on the swingarm from the rear sprocket, big droop on the bottom, i was pissed, of course i didn't have tools with me, i wasn't plannin on ridin!! Surprised my gear was in the truck, but the stock chains are almost always JUNK, unless you ride KTMs. I vote oring, any brand, the trick on an oring chain is it keeps dirt off the pins that the rollers are on, there for greatly reducing wear.

I ran Ironman Rear and front with middle of the road oring chain, get year and half plus outta the combo, loved it, 200 bux at first, but last money on that for a while!!

call me picky, but the first thing i do when i get a new bike home is ... throw the damn stock chain and sprockets in the trash!!!
Having replaced the stock chain on my own '06 immediately after buying it with 10 hours on it, the stock sprockets are now two years old. They last a long time when the chain doesn't stretch.