HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
racemile

FAST HELP NEEDED!! Need EKP needle part number!!

21 posts in this topic

Sudco says they don't sell it!! I must be asking for the wrong thing!!! Help!!

I am going to call them back and have them overnight this stuff today!!!

Racemile

Sudco doesn't sell. Unfortunately, you'll have to go the Yamaha dealer and listen to some punk-@#* 18-year old kid tell you it won't work. Don't expect to get it quickly. It took them almost two weeks to get mine in. Also keep in mind there is an error on their microfiche and the needle will come up as an EVP on your receipt.

PN: 5JG-14916-EP

Racemile,

What jetting are you going with out here? Are you going to match LarryCo jetting or try something new? I tried to copy Larry's setting in my bike, and found the Vortip was richening up the circuit. Needed to goto a 38/75 combination to get the plug to look right. Also I'm working on the Main circuit now with a 155Mj with different MAJ combination and possible going to a EKQ to lean alittle more... I want to remove the Vortip, but my ears were ringing after a long ride.

Good Luck,

Curt

Yamaha 's microfiche aren't too hot. I liked the Honda ones better. They always seemed easier to see details to me. You can also order from an online dealer that has the fiche online like Yamaha of Troy. That way the idiots at the parts counter don't order the wrong part. They don't seem to have a clue at my dealer about anything. None of them even know about the gray wire or throttle stop.

Cu,

I am actually going to copy your jetting. If I remember right Larry is not YZ timed. The only issue I may have is Sudco sent me a 160MJ and a 200MAJ instead of the 160MAJ and 200MAJ I ordered. I may see you out at Texas Creek if you go out there this weekend. We will bge in a green ford excursion. There could be anything from 3 yamahas on a small three rail to 3-4 yamahas, DRZ400, and a couple of hondas. Wont know til the sun comes up sunday morning!!

Hopefully I will see you there. Let me know what you think with that 200 MAJ, I may just try it any way.

Racemile

P.S. It sounds like we could have an unofficial tt rockymountain ride if everyone shows up that may be there on sunday.

Racemile

Yamaha 's microfiche aren't too hot. I liked the Honda ones better. They always seemed easier to see details to me. You can also order from an online dealer that has the fiche online like Yamaha of Troy. That way the idiots at the parts counter don't order the wrong part. They don't seem to have a clue at my dealer about anything. None of them even know about the gray wire or throttle stop.

Too bad you peeps don't live in Utah. I work at a Yamaha delership here and we know our [@#$%&*!]! I am using a 5JG-14916-EN-00 (EVN). No backfiring, no popping, and great response from closed throttle to 1/4 throttle. :)

I work at a Yamaha delership here and we know our [@#$%&*!]! I am using a 5JG-14916-EN-00 (EVN).

Are you being sarcastic?

The reason I ask is because that PN is for an EKN. Thing would probably barely run with an EVN.

Are you being sarcastic?

The reason I ask is because that PN is for an EKN. Thing would probably barely run with an EVN.

Please read my post again. It was geared towards MorrisWR. :)

And YES, it does run GREAT with that needle (EVN)!! Have fun in your search. I'm going for a blast now...............db :D

P.S. Busted huh? "HaremScarem", I think not. Some of you need to be a little more open minded. :D :D

Please read my post again.

I did. Sorry, I guess I don't get the joke, if it is a joke. :)

I was just trying to point out that the PN you list is not for an EVN, it is for an EKN, and a 426 would not run very well with an EVN, as it is like 5 clip positions leaner than the stock YZ E-taper needle. If you look at the needle in your bike I'm confident you will find "EKN" stamped on it.

The '00 Yamaha YZ 426 fiche mistakenly lists all the optional EK_ needles as EV_, some kind of typo I guess.

I did. Sorry, I guess I don't get the joke, if it is a joke.

I was just trying to point out that the PN you list is not for an EVN, it is for an EKN, and a 426 would not run very well with an EVN, as it is like 5 clip positions leaner than the stock YZ E-taper needle. If you look at the needle in your bike I'm confident you will find "EKN" stamped on it.

The '00 Yamaha YZ 426 fiche mistakenly lists all the optional EK_ needles as EV_, some kind of typo I guess.

When I clean my WR after getting in dirty in Moab for three days this past weekend (smirking and grinning), I will be sure to tripple check what is stamped on the needle. As for the part number, it's listed as a EVN. And sorry to burst your bubble oh wise one, but my WR runs GREAT with that needle in there!! If I am wrong, I'll be sure to apologize and let you know. :)

R1,

What trails are you planning on hitting while you're out in Moab? Just curious...want to live vicariously through you this weekend, as I'll be packin' boxes!!! :D

And for the record, I put my money on Hick and the ol' EKN... :)

Larry

And sorry to burst your bubble oh wise one, but my WR runs GREAT with that needle in there!!

You are not bursting my bubble, my point is not that your bike won't run well with an EVN, even though I know it will not, my point is that you don't have an EVN, you have an EKN, that is the part number that you posted (5JG-14916-EN).

Quite a few members have already gone through this problem with the typo on the parts fiche , as COXR notes in his post at the top of this page. I am not aware of it because I'm particularly wise, but because I've been hanging out here for a long time, and I've ordered a few of those needles.

I'm just trying to help, I don't want anybody mistakenly thinking an EVN is a good needle to run in a 426 based on your otherwise very helpful jetting observations.

So,

I now have an EKP needle ordered, and I am holding a EMP and a DMN needle. Has anyone played with these needles before? Is it worth messing with these at this altitude? My understanding is that both of these needles are leaner than the stock needle?

Why do I have the feeling i ordered completely the wrong stuff??? :):D :D :D

Racemile

Race,

The EKP in clip position #3 is the same as the EMP in clip position #4. Either works very well at our altitude, as long as you get the clip position right (see my sig below).

As far as the DMN, that's a pretty thin needle to be running (very rich in pilot circuit)...I couldnt get the E-version of it to run well at all...however, given that it doesnt have as much of a taper as the E-version, it may work (you'd have to test it). I would say that if you do, start out with it in clip position #1, and if it's too rich, you're done with it. I personally wouldnt even try it, as I'm very sold on E-series (YZ) needles and their midrange improvement over the D-series needles.

Larry

Dude.....

You cant move. You just can't How can you leave beautiful (economically depressed) Colorado?!?!? :):D

Thanks for the help

Race

EKP and EMP are really too similar, maybe you should just cancel the order for the EKP. The EMP is just a full clip leaner than the EKP. At your elevation I would recommend starting at EKP #3, but this is identical to EMP # 4. EKP-2/EMP-3 (one step leaner) is a more likely outcome than EKP-4/EMP-5 if you are worried about running out of positions.

DMN is a D taper needle, and based upon my experience with WR needles, which are also D tapers, and YZ needles, I would never recommend a D-- anything. Having said that there are guys here I'm sure who swear by them, but I like the mid-range throttle response you get with the E-taper needles like EMN, EKP etc.

As for comparing, for example, the EKP to the stock DRR (??) IMO saying it is richer or leaner is simplifying the difference. The change to the steeper taper means the rate of change in mixture is more pronounced as you open the throttle, that is more important than trying to figure out if it is leaner before you come on the taper or at any set throttle position.

IMO the only reason the WR comes w/ a D-taper needle is the bike won't run with an E-taper unless you uncork/uncover/unstop. Once you do that you have a motor that breathes like a YZ, so you should try YZ jetting (just my opinion).

At 4,000 ft. of elevation I ran EKQ-3 in my '01 YZ 426 (40 pilot, 160 main).

If I were you I'd buy the following parts:

Adjustable PAJ

180 & 160 MAJ

160, 158, 155 main jets

40, 38 pilots

EKQ, EKR needles

You should be able to tackle anything from local tracks up to Rampart with these parts.

BTW here is the jetting I ran at Rampart a few summers ago:

EKQ-2

38 pilot

(I would have liked to have tried the EKR and a smaller main but I didn't have these parts available).

Hope this helps.

Dang, you beat me to it LarryCO.

Good answer, didn't mean to piggyback, I didn't see it until I already made mine. :)

Larry,

We had a BLAST in Moab!! We arrived Friday and hit "Behind the Rocks" with he wives.

On Saturday we rode "Monitor and Merrimac" with the wives, then some other places I don't remember. After lunch we rode "Steel Bender" (A.K.A. Flat Pass Trail). We met up with Kent (KRobWR250) and his son Tyler from Ely Nevada and took my wife as well. Luckily she made it and only hit the ground once.

On Sunday John and I woke up at 0600 (because check out from the condo was at 1100) and hit "Slickrock" and "Poison Spider Mesa". We were flying through both these trails. We completed them both in under two hours. The weather was beautiful and the trails were empty.

We wish you could have been there. We will be planning another trip shortly................db

Hick.............Please accept my apologies. I just pulled out my needle and it is in fact an EKN. The part number and micro fiecsh (receipt) all called it an EVN. Go figure. Once again I'm sorry for being stern and slightly out of hand. :)