Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaptainKnobby

Strange readings on coolant level

9 posts in this topic

Here lately I have been having to add around 6 or 8 ounces of coolant (engine ice) to my 06 450F.

It started about 4 weeks ago cause I check my coolant level before each race. I first noticed it a month ago and had to add about a cup.

A week later after another race had to add about 6 ounces. Checked it today after I raced this past sunday and the level was correct (just under the overflow hole).

I started it up and let it Idel for about 3 or four minutes and waited a few minutes and checked it again and the level fell just above the fin holes and I added about 6 ounces.

What could be the problem to where the coolant is going? It is not leaking from the pump houseing or at the drain bolt, its like it is evaporating.

Ok I will check that after this weekends race but where is the coolant going?

I never see a wet spot in the floor on the stand.

If the balancer bearing is the root cause, it will only leak while it runs.

Where on a parts finch is the balancer bearing located? On the water pump, crank case cover 1, or maybe like cylinder.

Is the balancer bearings you are refering to.........the two bearings that go on the part called "SHAFT 1". They are numbered as #10 on the parts list and th shaft 1 is numbered #9.

If this is correct they only cost $35.00 for both. I guess they may have been $90.00 a pieace from Yamaha in 2006.

I will look futher at the bike tomorrow since I'm off from work and have time.

BTW if it is these bearings that failed that is causeing the coolant to leak, is the coolant going into the bottomend around the crank?

Is the balancer bearings you are refering to.........the two bearings that go on the part called "SHAFT 1". They are numbered as #10 on the parts list and th shaft 1 is numbered #9.

If this is correct they only cost $35.00 for both. I guess they may have been $90.00 a pieace from Yamaha in 2006.

I will look futher at the bike tomorrow since I'm off from work and have time.

BTW if it is these bearings that failed that is causeing the coolant to leak, is the coolant going into the bottomend around the crank?

#10 BEARING 93305-20301-00 $78.58 each from TT OEM

No, they won't cause coolant into the bottom end.

Two days ago I was cleaning the bike up and getting it all winterized and put up. I was letting the bike warm up so I could change the oil and got it up to temp, when I noticed a little antifreeze drip from the bottom of the right rad.

Up on futher inspection I seen it was coming from the top and then noticed it was a clamp loose on the short hose inbetween the two rads.

This was where my antifreeze was going. I forgot to tighten it when I had the motor off when I put a time-sert in the drain plug hole at the bottom.

I'm sure glad now it was not that shaft bearing in the water pump.