HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tribalbc

Ebatt install and airbox modification

31 posts in this topic

Well I got my new Ebatt 12oz lithium battery this weekend. It's very compact which allowed me to open up the airbox more. Results were pretty impressive. By opening up the airbox the bike has noticably more mid range through the top end. Definately added over rev. I just took it for a short rip in my neighborhood and the front end was lofting much easier, really good throttle response.

The battery weighs a wopping 12oz so I've now lost 5lbs of battery weight. Bike fires right up with estart warm. Maybe a little less crank than my old Nicad Ebatt :busted:

Here's some pics

3 generations of WR battery's, stock, Nicad Ebatt, Lithium

ebatt012.jpg

Airbox cutout

ebatt016.jpg

battery installed. I used the Zip ty's and some foam so the zip's don't cut threw the battery package. It comes with velcro to mount but that would mean laying it flat and not being able to cut out the airbox.

ebatt019.jpg

Done

ebatt020.jpg

3 generations of WR battery's, stock, Nicad Ebatt, Lithium

Umm just guessing that they are not in that order in the picture? :busted:

Nice mod though, no worries about water? Just curious, I do not have a WR (YET) and I don't know where the batteries are located(abviously its under the seat :thumbsup:)/how shielded they are.

Umm just guessing that they are not in that order in the picture? :busted:

Nice mod though, no worries about water? Just curious, I do not have a WR (YET) and I don't know where the batteries are located(abviously its under the seat :banana:)/how shielded they are.

Yeah the batteries are in reverse order :thumbsup:

The battery is in the stock location, just taking up much less space.

They're pretty protected from water unless you drown the bike.

I also stuff the top of my airbox with course foam to keep sticks, pine needles and some dust out of the airbox.I forgot to take the last photo showing this.

Yeah the batteries are in reverse order :busted:

The battery is in the stock location, just taking up much less space.

They're pretty protected from water unless you drown the bike.

I also stuff the top of my airbox with course foam to keep sticks, pine needles and some dust out of the airbox.I forgot to take the last photo showing this.

Thats another thing I was wondering, dust getting in. How much was the smaller battery?

Thats another thing I was wondering, dust getting in. How much was the smaller battery?

Right now it was only $80US + $10 shipping to my door. I think they're normally over $100, there's a sale on now.

http://ebattonline.com/

That thing is very small. Why not put it behind the front light. Then you could open up the whole top of the air box.

That thing is very small. Why not put it behind the front light. Then you could open up the whole top of the air box.

There wouldn't be room behind with the Odo and all the wiring harness's. Besides it would be a long + cable to the battery. Could get alot of drop in the line.

The airbox is almost open right to the base of the filter on the top now.

Hey tribal, I am going to be ordering one of these things next week, but in the mean time, how did the weight loss feel when riding the bike? Is it noticeable at all?

Hey tribal, I am going to be ordering one of these things next week, but in the mean time, how did the weight loss feel when riding the bike? Is it noticeable at all?

It's high top heavy weight so IMO you can notice quite a difference in handling.

It's been a long time since I've ridden a stock WR though. I would like to ride them back to back to feel the difference. I've gone for quite the Jenny Craig program on this bike. I was adding it all up last night and I've lost somewhere between 18 and 19lbs on this bike. But I've probably added 5 as well with rad guards , skid plate , handguards.

how well does it crank the bike over after its been sitting for a week

Can't say on this one as I've only just installed it a couple days ago. My old Nicad Ebatt though held it's charge alot better than the stocker.

I always kick start my bike when it's cold though. I only use the estart when the bikes already warm. Stock or otherwise battery, the starter doesn't turn over fast enough cold IMO.

Why sit there spinning over the starter when it will start in one or two kicks.

Different story when you're sweating in some mud hole though :busted:

Very good information. Thanks. I may get one myself. What do I do with my old (new) battery? My bike is new.

My old Nicad Ebatt though held it's charge alot better than the stocker.

Sorry for so many comments and questions, but how long did the old Ebatt last for you? Thanks

Very good information. Thanks. I may get one myself. What do I do with my old (new) battery? My bike is new.

Sell it, keep it as a spare :busted:

As you can see I've still got my old one around, I used it fora year.

By the way, could you list all the things that you did to lighten your bike?

Battery 5lbs

08 YZ exhaust 2.5lbs

Kickstand removal and replace peg mount YZ 2.5lbs

AIS removal 1.5lbs

YZ Ti shock spring if your sag #'s work for you 3.5-4lbs

Rear sprocket aluminum or ironman 2.5lbs

Ti footpegs could be spendy but I scored a deal .5lbs

Eibach fork springs needed to go up a rate on forks anyways and GYTR front brake hose clamp .5lbs

Sorry for so many comments and questions, but how long did the old Ebatt last for you? Thanks

2 years racing and riding 3-4 days a week.

In Canada so April-December with a few days in the winter.

Thanks for all the information. Did you consider just cutting the battery box completely out of the frame? Doesn't the YZ not have a batter box and the whole top of the air box is gone?

Thanks for all the information. Did you consider just cutting the battery box completely out of the frame? Doesn't the YZ not have a batter box and the whole top of the air box is gone?

The YZ airbox you have to remove the seat to clean the filter and it probably wouldn't fit with the WR,there are quite a few differences here. I thought about cutting out a section of the battery mount. But it's aluminum so not that heavy, and welded to the frame. This makes it a bit of an unreversable mod if I sold my bike in the future and someone wanted to go back to the stock battery. Or if my battery cacked and I had to go to something larger.