Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CNLITT

06 YZ450f vs. 08 YZ450f

9 posts in this topic

After doing some reading and research, I'm a bit confused. The postings and review say one is faster than the other, but my confusion is not knowing which they are saying is faster of the two? Is there many difference between a 06 and 08?

I'm looking at buying a new bike and my local yamaha shop has a brand new 06 and also a brand new 08. Which is a better bike, if either?

there's about a $500-600 price difference.

Thanks.

After doing some reading and research, I'm a bit confused. The postings and review say one is faster than the other, but my confusion is not knowing which they are saying is faster of the two? Is there many difference between a 06 and 08?

I'm looking at buying a new bike and my local yamaha shop has a brand new 06 and also a brand new 08. Which is a better bike, if either?

there's about a $500-600 price difference.

Thanks.

The bikes are a little different. The 08 is supposed to have better handling, better suspension, and more peak power while having a smoother power curve. For that small price difference I'd go with the 08. I have an 08 and have no complaints about it, awesome bike. As for which one is "faster", it depends on the rider, both bikes should be pretty even.

I have had the '04, '06, and now the '08. The '08 is definately a better bike, IMHO. I would like to sell the '08 and get a '10 but I really like my '08 and since Yamaha is practically giving them away I won't get a lot for the '08.

Comparing two stock YZ450's, the '06 had a much stronger mid range, and the '08 has almost two more HP at peak. There's no question that once up in the rev range, the '08 is faster ( a little ), but it's the breadth of the '06 power curve that makes it seem punchier.

This is caused almost entirely by the "shorty" exhaust , which is very restrictive, and replacing it with almost anything will result in an increase of 4-7 HP at 5000-6000 RPM. With any reasonably good pipe, the '08 is very strong across the board, but still smooth and controllable.

Apart from that, the '08 is an '06 with 2 years of intense refinement, and I'd have to say that I'd choose it over the '06 if it was a close call.

get the '08. for $400-$500. Down the road, it'd be worth it to me for the resale value.

Having owned both I can say that the '08 is the way to go. No major changes, just little tweaks that add up to a noticeably better handling bike when all is said and done.

With some minor adjustments the '06 can be made to handle quite well but even so my '08 cornered better right off the showroom floor than my '06 did after dialing it in.

Sidebar: In 2008 I had not won a single race in my offroad series...lot's of 2nd/3rd place finishes. Once I bought my '08 I won three of the final six rounds. Just sayin'...:busted:

Sidebar: In 2008 I had not won a single race in my offroad series...lot's of 2nd/3rd place finishes. Once I bought my '08 I won three of the final six rounds. Just sayin'...:banana:

Yeah, and of course we all know the rider had nothing to do with that..:busted::banana: :banana: :thumbsup:

I have an 08, before that I had an 06 and before that an 04. I agree completely with both Gray and Wiz's comments. The 08 is more refined and go to go right out of the box except for the exhaust. You'll have to change it, so keep in mind you'll have to spend more money on a replacement exhaust. The complete 06 exhaust works very well, but the DRD is a tad better (IMO). BTW, it took me a couple of months to get the 06 to turn in a manner that I liked, once I got it right, it was very good but it took me some time. One other thing, a good front tire is a must for either.