Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ridon

Hardshifting...

5 posts in this topic

Yesterday i noticed that it's very difficult to shift. I'm in first gear pulling the clutch and shift for 2nd but i'm still in 1st, i have to put more power to shift and i don't know why. This is the first time that happens ,the bike used to shift really easy. I use the same oil since i bought the bike(Belray thumper) with no such problems. Is it something else?

Two things come to mind:

First is that the clutch may be dragging. You would know if this were it by the fact that the bike would pull forward while at a standstill with the clutch lever held in, and would be extremely difficult to get into neutral.

The second is a bad bearing on the main shaft. This causes the shaft to be hard to turn, and keeps enough load on whichever gear is engaged to make it hard to disengage it for the shift. This can also be due to a partially seixed gear on either shaft.

To check that, start by turning the rear wheel in neutral. If it seems normally free, the free gears on the main shaft are probably OK.

Then, remove the clutch cover and pull the plates out of the clutch. Try to turn the main shaft by hand. If it drags or feels very rough, you have your problem.

To check that, start by turning the rear wheel in neutral. If it seems normally free, the free gears on the main shaft are probably OK.

Well i noticed last week that the rear wheel didn't turn as freely as it used to:thinking: ...

Yesterday i noticed that it's very difficult to shift. I'm in first gear pulling the clutch and shift for 2nd but i'm still in 1st, i have to put more power to shift and i don't know why. This is the first time that happens ,the bike used to shift really easy. I use the same oil since i bought the bike(Belray thumper) with no such problems. Is it something else?

Also make sure your shift lever is tight on the shaft.

Sometimes the bolt loosens up.

Well i was really lucky this time and the shift shaft wasn't bend, as i was afraid of. The chain was a little bit tight and the shift lever bolt was loosened up a bit. Shifting is easy as it should now. Thank you for your replies you've been very helpfull.:busted: