2004 WR450F Gas Tank Question

Hi Guys,

Just purchased an almost brand new 2004 450F, many of the threads have plenty of comments on the newer 2007 and up 450F's, not too much on the older models. I checked Clarke website, it appears they don't even make a 3.1 or 3.2 tank except for 2007-2009. IMS makes a 3.1 tank for 2004, just wondering if anybody has this tank? Reading alot about the petcock having to move to other side of bike. Is this true for the 2004 model? If you have the IMS tank for 2004 model can you use existing shrouds?

The IMS tank uses YZ shrouds as do most of the aftermarket tanks for the 03/04 WR's. I ran the IMS for several years but just recently switched to the Acerbis 3.4 gal. The IMS has a few issues. First it hangs down very low which is good in terms of weight distribution but at the expense of blocking off a lot of engine cooling. It actually is so close a fit that it actually wears on the valve cover. Also the tank hangs very close to the header on the right side. I used some hi-temp sleeving as well as header wrap to try and minimize the heat exposure. There have been several reports of bike fires as a result of this setup at least one of which I personally know of that was a total loss on a brand new bike! Needless to say I have never been thrilled with the tank (came with the bike) hence the switch to the Acerbis which carries the weight a little higher but provides much better clearance around the header. The fit and finish is much better on the Acerbis as well. Just my .02!

The IMS tank uses YZ shrouds as do most of the aftermarket tanks for the 03/04 WR's. I ran the IMS for several years but just recently switched to the Acerbis 3.4 gal. The IMS has a few issues. First it hangs down very low which is good in terms of weight distribution but at the expense of blocking off a lot of engine cooling. It actually is so close a fit that it actually wears on the valve cover. Also the tank hangs very close to the header on the right side. I used some hi-temp sleeving as well as header wrap to try and minimize the heat exposure. There have been several reports of bike fires as a result of this setup at least one of which I personally know of that was a total loss on a brand new bike! Needless to say I have never been thrilled with the tank (came with the bike) hence the switch to the Acerbis which carries the weight a little higher but provides much better clearance around the header. The fit and finish is much better on the Acerbis as well. Just my .02!

Thanks for the info. Just one more question? Can you use the exisiting shrouds with the Acerbis 3.4 tank?

Thanks, Steve G.

I have the IMS tank. Its fine. The deal with the header seems to be on ones that do not block the oil filer. They are much higher and run close to the tank. My DRD pipe is lower than the stock one and plenty far from the tank.

The tank has a cross over line for the bottom sides of the tank that is a pain in the ass to deal with if its full of gas.

The Acerbis tank will be fine. They have much better plastic making machines than IMS. The IMS tank is Rotory molded. I think the acerbis tank is injection molded. I got the IMS tank cause it was cheap and used.

On the Acerbis do you guys use the cut-off valve on the right side or how do you work it?

Why a cut-off valve vs T into the other side?

Will the stock petcock work with the tank or must you use the one that is supplied with the tank. How does the reserve work with only one supply tube on the supplied petcock?

I just bought a new one for 140 delivered, looked it over some and had these questions.

On the Acerbis do you guys use the cut-off valve on the right side or how do you work it?

Why a cut-off valve vs T into the other side?

Will the stock petcock work with the tank or must you use the one that is supplied with the tank. How does the reserve work with only one supply tube on the supplied petcock?

I just bought a new one for 140 delivered, looked it over some and had these questions.

I ran both petcocks in to one line to the carb (T). I also only used the ones supplied with Acerbis tank...never hand an issue.

Also ditch the fual line the Acerbis tank comes with...go to the automotive store and buying some automotive fuel lines (1/4") and a brass T (5/16")

I ran both petcocks in to one line to the carb (T). I also only used the ones supplied with Acerbis tank...never hand an issue.

Also ditch the fual line the Acerbis tank comes with...go to the automotive store and buying some automotive fuel lines (1/4") and a brass T (5/16")

Why ditch the lines and the "Y"? Mine mounted up just fine out of the box. Just curious!

Why ditch the lines and the "Y"? Mine mounted up just fine out of the box. Just curious!

The lines that come with the 03-06 Acerbis tank work but they get yellow and brittle.

Way back when, SC (the former moderator) posted up the automotive fuel line trick and its truly ?

I NEVER have to worry about my fuel line giving me any issue :busted:

The lines that come with the 03-06 Acerbis tank work but they get yellow and brittle.

Way back when, SC (the former moderator) posted up the automotive fuel line trick and its truly ?

I NEVER have to worry about my fuel line giving me any issue :busted:

That makes sense....mine came with black automotive type tubing instead of what you described. Maybe they've improved?