Is it really worth it?

i'm not feeling the WR for you dude... maybe work with the TTR or get a 250/125

besides that, why chain yourself to 10k, if you dont have the 10k and 3 or 4k would get you similar happiness... or more, since you're worried about crunching it... i paid 4k for mine, and the biggest scratches in it are still the ones that were on it when i took over

well... mostly anyways :busted:

oh and back to the OP, yes the WR will be somewhat faster than the TTR :busted::thumbsup::banana:

I recently crashed my TT-R230, injuring myself badly, but no broken bones. I was on crutches or a bit, this happened two days before my parents left for a different province, so I had to get around without any help. Anyway, I went out today to see if I could do a little work on my bike, because I have recovered and I'm going through ride withdrawl :banana: and I don't even want to try and think about all the stuff thats wrong with it... I crashed going around a corner not knowing it was as sharp as it was and slid on my side then cought a rock and the bike launched me, this was on a dirt road.

My point is that we all know(or i would at least hope you could figure it out :banana: ) that the WR goes faster then the TT-R. I've been planning on getting one in the spring and was just wondering if paying 10k for a bike, for me thats steep, then paying more to get it jetted is worth it? I mean I want one really bad, I could handle it no problem, what I couldn't handle is the bike being unsuable after one minor crash, its not like I pummeled the bike by crahsing trying to clear monster doubles.

:busted::thumbsup::banana: :banana: :banana:

Sorry for the long message:

WR450F worth it, or because I crash once in a season will it be destroyed?

Well I crash a hell of alot more then once a season. They're tough, they're dirt bikes, thats what they're made for. But you want to protect them in critical areas.

Full wrap around aluminum handguards that mount to the triples. You certainly won't have anymore broken levers and good chance you won't be able to bend your bars now.

Heavy duty skidplate that wraps around water pump and ignition case. Protect those vital areas

Unabiker Rad guards. I say Unabiker because they not only protect from rocks and sticks from the front but they are also rad braces helping prevent bending from side impacts.

These are the main ones then you could move on to chain guides, disc guards, etc.

It costs a bit of money to set a new bike up but it's worth it in the long run.

And plan on doing all your own wrenching. If you are worried about the sticker price a bike will be unafordable for you unless you do all your own work. It also helps if you ever break down on the trail and know what to do.....

It costs a bit of money to set a new bike up but it's worth it in the long run

I couldn't agree MORE with you...:busted:

For what it's worth, I began riding at an early age. My father is still an avid dirt biker and I was fortunate enough to have a KX 60 given to me one Christmas morning at the age of 6. Since then I have owned many dirt bike of different makes etc. At 14 I was on an old XR 200, which was a great bike to develop more aggresive trail riding skills. By 16 I needed an upgrade and went with a KDX 200 (what a big difference!) Since then the bikes have come and gone, KTM 300, RM 250, YZ 426, and now an 09 WR 450! If I would have gotten a big bike at 16, I don't think I would be riding today IMO. I would reconsider and find something a little smaller in displacement and ride the crap out of it!:busted:

TTR's handle like a pile of shi t so that's probably why you dumped it.

If you could get 3k for it do it right now before they come to their senses. I know canuckian money is worth a bit less but still.

Go buy the WR and enjoy life. You're not young for very long.

Bark busters and radiator guards are a good idea.

TTR's handle like a pile of shi t so that's probably why you dumped it.

If you could get 3k for it do it right now before they come to their senses. I know canuckian money is worth a bit less but still.

Go buy the WR and enjoy life. You're not young for very long.

Bark busters and radiator guards are a good idea.

very wise words there:worthy:

And have Mom bump up your life insurance if you go with the 450!

I'm not 16.

I'm 45.

I can't just think about my self.

I have a family to think about.

I can't spend all my money on myself.

I have a wife and two kids to support.

I have a house payment to make.

I have insurance payments to make.

I saved for a long time (years).

I shopped for a long time (years).

I wrote a check for a new 2009 WR450F a couple of months ago.

That was money that I did NOT spend on my wife, on my kids, on the house or anything else.

I am the ONLY one that benefits from those THOUSANDS of dollars.

IT WAS WORTH IT.:busted:

hahahah im in the exact same posy but im 35 and still saving :thumbsup:

OP: fix the TTR, throw the 10K into shares, in two years time you will most likely have doubled it and you will get the bike for nothing and you will be strong enough to handle the 450.

Thanks for the imput guys, the thing with getting a smaller bike like the WR250F is that its only 900 cheaper (thats one months pay for me in the summer) and I feel I would outgrow it and I would be no further ahead. I know that I could handle the 450, I'm 5'9 and 180-200#s(I bounce up and down each month :busted:) I have long legs(I can reach the ground on the bike) and a big upper body build. Like any bike I would just get good, then fast. It only took me a couple days before I started to find a lack of power in the TTR, I was trying to get as fast a possible and was doing well. It was just a stupid perception judgement that made me crash. Anyway thats my two cents on my resoning for the 450. Oh, I'm also planing on plating it to use it as transportation.

P.S. I do not have the 10k upfront, however with me saving up now, and selling the TTR I should have the WR payed off for by this time to christmas next year, I could see myself greatly enjoying the bike.

I feel I would outgrow it and I would be no further ahead.

You would be much further ahead on a wr250f, night and day comparison to your bike.

Getting yourself into debt this early is probably not a good idea. There's probably better things you can spend your $10,000 on, or you could just save the money. Nothing wrong with buying a used bike, as long as its in good condition. Why not sell the ttr for $3000, add another $2000-$3000 and have a nice bike, without being in debt.

I am already in debt for the TTR, and people keep saying why not get used, here is my answer, there might be a total of 3 WR's in my province MAYBE, I only know of one, which mean i would have to buy elsewhere. By the time I spend a turd pile of cash on shipping I'm no further ahead again. Plus with my experience with used crap is exactly that its crap, you don't know what the previous owner has done, they could have ran the bike no oil and pounding the hell out of it at the same time for all I know. I'd rather not have a WR then buy one from a random person who may never have even maintained the bike's chain. I'm not looking to get the bike right now, if at all it will be spring. Another thing to consider is that although I am not completely spoiled there is a slight chance that family members might be in a situation to help me get the bike, whereas they wouldn't give me the money anyway, if you get where I am coming from.

I am already in debt for the TTR, and people keep saying why not get used, here is my answer, there might be a total of 3 WR's in my province MAYBE, I only know of one, which mean i would have to buy elsewhere. By the time I spend a turd pile of cash on shipping I'm no further ahead again. Plus with my experience with used crap is exactly that its crap, you don't know what the previous owner has done, they could have ran the bike no oil and pounding the hell out of it at the same time for all I know. I'd rather not have a WR then buy one from a random person who may never have even maintained the bike's chain. I'm not looking to get the bike right now, if at all it will be spring. Another thing to consider is that although I am not completely spoiled there is a slight chance that family members might be in a situation to help me get the bike, whereas they wouldn't give me the money anyway, if you get where I am coming from.

There are a lot of other bikes that would be a real upgrade from your TT-R that you could also consider: KDX-200/220, KLX-300, KTM-200/250, etc.

You can generally find a good, reliable, used bike for a LOT less money if you are willing to do the leg work and to thoroughly inspect the bikes before you buy.

:busted:

There are a lot of other bikes that would be a real upgrade from your TT-R that you could also consider: KDX-200/220, KLX-300, KTM-200/250, etc.

You can generally find a good, reliable, used bike for a LOT less money if you are willing to do the leg work and to thoroughly inspect the bikes before you buy.

:busted:

Sorry but used is not really an option for me, think about it my province has 140k people, thats like a city for you guys. there aren't very many known trails here, and not very many people are interested in biking, there are a tone of utility quads, due to the farming. So most of the people who have bikes are generally rich/spoiled kids who don't know how to take care of them or even what a user manual is. They run the bikes till they die then make them runable temp. then sell them. It happens way too often. Anyway there is also the possibilties of me either keeping the TTR or selling it for something else. All I know is that I find an excessive lack of power in the bike, it's a great starter bike/cottage putter, but thats not my riding style, I would greatly enjoy the WR. I remember the feeling I first got when I sat on the TTR and took it for a rip, I was THE HAPPIEST kid in the world, until I started getting aggressive and riding the bike everyday. I then outgrew the bike. What I want is me to be the limitation, not the bike. The WR would make that statement true.:thumbsup:

Given your circumstances, things do seem to be pretty tough for you as far as choosing what to do. My first bike was a ttr250, which is heavier and taller than your 230, but it did have a good amount of power for a beginner's bike. I outgrew the bike after one year, I would find myself running it at WOT quite often and there were some hillclimbs where it would really struggle. The suspension was pretty bad too, way too soft for that big/heavy bike. My next bike was a brand new 07 wr450f, used it a couple of times all corked up the way it comes from the factory and then modded the hell out of if after a little while. If you plan on plating the bike and using it as personal transportation besides the recreational riding, then it would be worth buying. Do what you feel is best for you. Sucks to be stuck with a bike you no longer enjoy riding.

Given your circumstances, things do seem to be pretty tough for you as far as choosing what to do. My first bike was a ttr250, which is heavier and taller than your 230, but it did have a good amount of power for a beginner's bike. I outgrew the bike after one year, I would find myself running it at WOT quite often and there were some hillclimbs where it would really struggle. The suspension was pretty bad too, way too soft for that big/heavy bike. My next bike was a brand new 07 wr450f, used it a couple of times all corked up the way it comes from the factory and then modded the hell out of if after a little while. If you plan on plating the bike and using it as personal transportation besides the recreational riding, then it would be worth buying. Do what you feel is best for you. Sucks to be stuck with a bike you no longer enjoy riding.

DUDE! THAT IS EXCATLY MY SITUATION! I do find myself at WOT very often. When I'm in the shale pits the bike struggles to do some hillclimbs(that is where I find the biggest lack of power). Don't get me wrong I love riding, I would be happy to be on a pw 50, even. I just don't enjoy it near as much as I used to before I got used to the bike, now that the bike is the limitaion and not my riding. I understand it's a big step up, no a huge step up. However, thats what I'm looking for. :busted:

http://chatham-kent.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-2005-Yamaha-WR250F-PLATED-W0QQAdIdZ156299919

Here's a money saver 4 ya, don't think 450 yet, trust me it's to big right now, gain a little more XP first, a 450 would have put you into that corner just that much more faster, the 250 is a better wood's bike than the 450 and is a more enjoyable ride in most places other than the road, open fields and for a heaver rider over 210lbs. etc. Personaly I dont like to go very far on the road with mine, just connecting trails, fields and rarely to work, but I can walk to work in 15 minutes,lol.

http://www.squadpage.com/pandora/Professor%20RedBeard450%20How-To%20AP%20Mod.pdf

DUDE! THAT IS EXCATLY MY SITUATION! I do find myself at WOT very often. When I'm in the shale pits the bike struggles to do some hillclimbs(that is where I find the biggest lack of power). Don't get me wrong I love riding, I would be happy to be on a pw 50, even. I just don't enjoy it near as much as I used to before I got used to the bike, now that the bike is the limitaion and not my riding. I understand it's a big step up, no a huge step up. However, thats what I'm looking for. :busted:

I know exactly how you feel, I was there at one point. I did enjoy the ttr-250 up until I sold it, but I constantly felt that I needed something better. The wr450 has never left me wanting more power, ever. In fact, sometimes I ride at places that the power seems like "too much", not uncontrollable, but evident that I've got too much motor under me for that trail. Riding trails in the woods, the bike hardly ever sees more than 1/2 throttle, sometimes 1/4, but as soon as there's a fire road the throttle goes WOT at least for a few seconds. The factor that would tip the scale for me if I were in your situation would be the possibility of making it street legal and using it for transportation. At your age though, insurance might be a bit too expensive. Do plenty of research and see how much of a financial burden the bike would be for you. Take your time and think it thoroughly.

http://chatham-kent.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-2005-Yamaha-WR250F-PLATED-W0QQAdIdZ156299919

Here's a money saver 4 ya, don't think 450 yet, trust me it's to big right now, gain a little more XP first, a 450 would have put you into that corner just that much more faster, the 250 is a better wood's bike than the 450 and is a more enjoyable ride in most places other than the road, open fields and for a heaver rider over 210lbs. etc. Personaly I dont like to go very far on the road with mine, just connecting trails, fields and rarely to work, but I can walk to work in 15 minutes,lol.

http://www.squadpage.com/pandora/Professor%20RedBeard450%20How-To%20AP%20Mod.pdf

Just curious if you posted that Honda AP link in the wrong place or what?

yes i did