Is it really worth it?

I recently crashed my TT-R230, injuring myself badly, but no broken bones. I was on crutches or a bit, this happened two days before my parents left for a different province, so I had to get around without any help. Anyway, I went out today to see if I could do a little work on my bike, because I have recovered and I'm going through ride withdrawl :banana: and I don't even want to try and think about all the stuff thats wrong with it... I crashed going around a corner not knowing it was as sharp as it was and slid on my side then cought a rock and the bike launched me, this was on a dirt road.

My point is that we all know(or i would at least hope you could figure it out :banana: ) that the WR goes faster then the TT-R. I've been planning on getting one in the spring and was just wondering if paying 10k for a bike, for me thats steep, then paying more to get it jetted is worth it? I mean I want one really bad, I could handle it no problem, what I couldn't handle is the bike being unsuable after one minor crash, its not like I pummeled the bike by crahsing trying to clear monster doubles.

:busted:?:banana: :banana: :banana:

Sorry for the long message:

WR450F worth it, or because I crash once in a season will it be destroyed?

I know it's not the bikes fault i went into a blind corner too fast, it was me, in my rush to get home, and booting her that made me crash. I'm not blaming it on the bike at all. I've wiped out on other bikes, and I've seen other bikes wipe out and not get dammaged to this extent, I just want to know if the WR is better built structually then the TT-R, I mean, even the :busted: rear rim took abuse... I just want to know that if I spend the money on a WR and have one spill, will it get completed dumped, like just some bent handle bars and foot peg/shifters are no big deal, beyond that gets anoying.

Why buy new? Save money and get a used one of TT Classifieds, Craigs List, ebay, or cycletrader.com

Part your TTR on eBay. That will finance at least a quarter of a used WR.

The TTR is fixable with a few hundread bucks, its just not ridable at the moment, and the dealer has offered me 2800 for it and a local guy has offered me 3k, so I will put that, plus all my winter savings towards the WR and financing.

James, the question you are asking is impossible to answer.

Every crash is different and the amount of variables is infinite!!!

I have seen a very slow crash on a WR end in a burst radiator which ended the riders day and I have personally ridden away from a 100+ KPH crash with no problems at all.

If you spend a bit of extra money on the WR you can make it almost crash proof. Radiator gaurds are a must!!!!

Remember that the WR is a competition bike and the TTR is a trail bike. The Comp bikes should be stronger but they are not invincible!!!

James, the question you are asking is impossible to answer.

Every crash is different and the amount of variables is infinite!!!

I have seen a very slow crash on a WR end in a burst radiator which ended the riders day and I have personally ridden away from a 100+ KPH crash with no problems at all.

If you spend a bit of extra money on the WR you can make it almost crash proof. Radiator gaurds are a must!!!!

Remember that the WR is a competition bike and the TTR is a trail bike. The Comp bikes should be stronger but they are not invincible!!!

Thanks fo the feedback!, Rad guards would be on my list! I think the WR would be worth it actually, I'm just in shock that sliding on my side at >80 would do so much dammage. My dad crashed his Vmax at the strip, right into a fence at the end because of brake failure, the dammage, scratched paint... See my point of view?

Thanks fo the feedback!, Rad guards would be on my list! I think the WR would be worth it actually, I'm just in shock that sliding on my side at >80 would do so much dammage. My dad crashed his Vmax at the strip, right into a fence at the end because of brake failure, the dammage, scratched paint... See my point of view?

We have two riders in our group who had a TT-R230 and a TT-R225, respectively, for several years. Both crashed numerous times on varying terrain at various speeds.

Other than scratched plastic, bent stock handlebars and rotated or bent handguards, there was never any damage to either bike.

I have crashed a lot of times. A lot. But I really can't remember the last time my bike was not able to be ridden afterward. Broken clutch cable, flat tires, still ride out. I thought TTR's were really tough. Just got unlucky I would say. If the bike is holding back your fun factor, you gotta upgrade!

I know it's not the bikes fault i went into a blind corner too fast, it was me, in my rush to get home, and booting her that made me crash. I'm not blaming it on the bike at all. I've wiped out on other bikes, and I've seen other bikes wipe out and not get dammaged to this extent, I just want to know if the WR is better built structually then the TT-R, I mean, even the :busted: rear rim took abuse... I just want to know that if I spend the money on a WR and have one spill, will it get completed dumped, like just some bent handle bars and foot peg/shifters are no big deal, beyond that gets anoying.

Not trying to bash on you about crashing.?

Yamaha's bounce pretty well,but the WR has more goodies on it that cost quite a bit more than TTr parts.Big money items are radiators,silencers.Bars levers and footpegs are pretty cheap compared to the price of the first 2 items.

I just crashed my YZ 250 F and bars and a front brake lever were well under $100. Unfortunatly the trip to the ER, the plate on my collar bone,have added up to $20,000 so far.Plus the fact that I am not allowed to lift more than a fork full of food with my right arm,for 3 months,doesn't help.

Make sure you have enough money to buy the right protective gear for when you step up to the WR.Some guys say thier WR will do 90 MPH!

Well, now that I've cooled down a little and started to realize what was actually done to the bike, I've relaxed a little, bent handle bars, twisted foot peg, clutch lever is not bent but loose(don't know why, it just wiggles up and down), bent rear rim, fork boot mangled, scratched plastic/graphics(no biggy really) and thats all I can remember off the top of my head. Thats not as bad as I thought, However you have to see it from my perpective, I cannot ride the bike, I don't have my liscence yet so the bike was how I got around, my parents left 2 days before I crashed so I can't take it to get fixed, litterally ALL the tools that I need to fix the small stuff are the tools that are missing from the toolboxes here. I'm going through biking withdrawl, and I'm trapped in the house out in the sticks, I take the bus to school and thats as far as i leave the house, the odd time I take a cab to work. So all of that added together plus my soreness etc. just made me sour I think, and I just needed to vent. I do think the WR450F is worth it, and I'm very excited to get one in the spring(If i do get it) sorry guys... I just had to burn off some accumulated steam.

Not trying to bash on you about crashing.:busted:

Yamaha's bounce pretty well,but the WR has more goodies on it that cost quite a bit more than TTr parts.Big money items are radiators,silencers.Bars levers and footpegs are pretty cheap compared to the price of the first 2 items.

I just crashed my YZ 250 F and bars and a front brake lever were well under $100. Unfortunatly the trip to the ER, the plate on my collar bone,have added up to $20,000 so far.Plus the fact that I am not allowed to lift more than a fork full of food with my right arm,for 3 months,doesn't help.

Make sure you have enough money to buy the right protective gear for when you step up to the WR.Some guys say thier WR will do 90 MPH!

The Protective gear is what saved me, although broken coller bone + trip to the ER is the price of Gas to get there here:smirk: I try to avoid it. I always wear gear, if not i would basically not have an ankle. And to MOTOPHILE, let me rephrase, the bike IS ridable, trail worthy, far from it. I did hav to ride it part of the way home until I decided my leg couldn't take it anymore, then thankfully my mom was able to get me in the truck as I was quite a bit away. Combination of bent handle bars and wobblyness from the loose spokes in my rim, makes it 'not ridable', I mean I can start her up no problem and ride her around my yard, but I wouldn't go hard on it at this point.

It is hard for us to tell you why you should upgrade.

In my opinion,I wouldn't recomend jumping from a TTr230 to a Wr 450 F.

Even in stock trim the 450 is a handfull compared to the TTr.(gobs of power){with free mods,gobs more}

Are you a tall person? (seat height is up there on a WR ){suspension is plush}

I would highly recomend the WR 250 F, your a 16 year old rider ready to move up to the next level. the WR 250 is probably 2 times the bike the TTr is.

The 250 is much lighter and more nimble than the 450,great place to learn how the big bikes work. The WR 250 with proper maintenance will last a good long time.

Keep your TT-R for a while more. Spend your money on tools, parts & protective gear, instead.

Then, you can save your money for a pickup / bike hauler.

If you spend all of your money on a new WR, you are still not going to have tools, a way to haul the bike or go get parts, or the money required to keep the WR in running condition. :busted:

Keep your TT-R for a while more. Spend your money on tools, parts & protective gear, instead.

Then, you can save your money for a pickup / bike hauler.

If you spend all of your money on a new WR, you are still not going to have tools, a way to haul the bike or go get parts, or the money required to keep the WR in running condition. :busted:

I already to have a bike hauler and my friend down the road has all the tools i need, I just can't get there with no liscence/bike however I get my liscence in november so it'll all fall into place.

I'm not 16.

I'm 45.

I can't just think about my self.

I have a family to think about.

I can't spend all my money on myself.

I have a wife and two kids to support.

I have a house payment to make.

I have insurance payments to make.

I saved for a long time (years).

I shopped for a long time (years).

I wrote a check for a new 2009 WR450F a couple of months ago.

That was money that I did NOT spend on my wife, on my kids, on the house or anything else.

I am the ONLY one that benefits from those THOUSANDS of dollars.

IT WAS WORTH IT.:busted:

• Like 1

Friends with tools come and go like the tides. CORider63 gives sage advice. I loved to ride, but my college education and career choice support. it.

Invest your earnings now in things that will support your riding. I gave up riding for other things when I was your age. I got my dirt bike at 35. Stereo's, BFG's for my truck, pot and beer kept me from being able to get a bike, but I wouldn't have been able to maintain it anyways because I had no tools.

My time not studying would have been better spent wrenching on bikes. Chasing Pu**y didn't help my cause either.

I love my wife, love my daughters, and I cherish the time I have on my bike.