does a bike sitting in a show room for 3 years cause any probolems?

thinking about diching my 426 for a new 2006 yz450f. wondering if the fact it has sat on show room for 3 years would have any effect on bike? the dealer started at 4300 for the price does that sound right? i think he would go lower this winter if its still there. i thought i saw some guys on here say that they got 08's for $4500 out the door so 4300 sounds high for an 06 450. after my parts oder was srewed up and it will cost 2k to fix my 426 unless i reuse the crank the new bike sounds like a better road to go down to me. thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4300 out the door might not be so bad for a brand new bike that isn't all that different than the 09s. I rode one back in 07 and loved it. FAMILY MAN is right otdcyclesports is a great company, but you live in Ohio from the looks of it, so that may not be the best option for you. Chapparal Motorsports in SoCal has 1 and 2 year old bikes for great prices also. It just comes down to really putting the time into your search for a new bike.

Yea, $4300 sounds a bit high. I picked up a great low hours '07 for 3K, so you should be able to get an '06, even a new one, for better than $4300. Than again, some dealers don't see it that way. The dealer here still has an '05 on the floor "on sale" for something like $500 off MSRP.

I think $4300 for an 06 is way to high right now, There wasn't huge differences between 06 and 09 but now that the 2010 is an all new bike it drops the value of the previouse years more. A month ago My room mate bought a brand new white 08 yz450f from Cannonfalls motorsports here in MN for $4334 out the door. They had 3 and I was going to get one to but had to wate till I got back from vacation and then the were all sold out. I haven't found any other 08 in MN at that cost yet but some dealers have offered up some pretty fair prices on 09's at about $5300 out the door.

im thinking ill offer him 3500 hundred out the door this winter if its still there. i have a feeling its going to be a tuff winter for every one and no one will have money to buy new dirt bikes around here with people losing jobs and so forth. is my asking price of $1100 to high for my 2002 yz426f with blown head. i bought new valves and springs to go with it? i already had one call on it and its only been for sale a day. the tires are pretty new and it has exel wheels and street title

It's my understanding that Yamaha has more '09's, and possibly '08's on it's hands, and part of the deal for those dealers who want the 2010 model is that they have to take a number of the older bikes on as well. So there may be even sweeter deals available in the near future.

wow, if that's true, it would be wonderful news to a lot of people. Too bad I already have an 08 450.

I'm glad you're going this way!

The guys are right about getting a great used one for much less money. I like the new bike because I know nobody has jacked it up (prior to me jacking it up). You seem the type to own your bike for quite a while anyway so the "resale" shouldn't be that big of an issue.

If it were me...I get the new 06 or an 09.

Perhaps ask them to change the fork, shock and motor oil on the 06 prior to your purchase.

does any one have a rough idea of what my 2002 yz426f with a blown head is worth? it would come with new valves/springs, extra rear shock, exel wheels with 90% tread on tires, owners manual, and a street title. its not worth selling if i cant get near 1000 dollars to me.

does any one have a rough idea of what my 2002 yz426f with a blown head is worth? it would come with new valves/springs, extra rear shock, exel wheels with 90% tread on tires, owners manual, and a street title. its not worth selling if i cant get near 1000 dollars to me.

Put it in the clasifieds here,bet you get alot of bites.

Does craigslist charge you to list it in your area?

If it doesn't list it and see if you get any bites.

FWIW Excel wheels are stock. I think your price is fair.

I bought a 426 years ago that was sitting on the floor for 2 years. They had put gas in and drained it, but the screws on the gas cap corroded and got rust in the fuel pecot.....It nearly drove me crazy trying to figure out what the problem with the fuel was...Anyways, check that and u should be good to go