426 lack of compression

I have been working on getting my '01 426 ready to ride for the last couple of days. Sunday I was not able to get it to start at all but everything felt normal other than that. Yesterday I opened up the carb to check that it was not gummed up. I did not change the o-rings in that it was Monday and no one was open. I then re-installed the carb and tried to start the bike. It seemed to try to start on the first kick but after that nothing. After kicking it quit a few time trying all the tricks I know it started to kick through the normal TDC compression. So where I could normally stand on the kick start in compression it would kick through. Any ideas? I replaced the head gasket early this year but I have started and rode it quite a bit between then and now. The only thing I got into was the carb and I wouldn't think that even if the o-rings are bad it would cause this. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

• 1 month later...

This happened to me as well. I killed it and flooded it and then proceeded to kick and kick and kick. I noticed that after a while that at TDC i could kick it without the decomp lever. Now it is like that until it warms up, starts up first kick but compression is really low and burns a small amount of oil when rev'd, but just until its warm. Any ideas why it did this all of a sudden?