yz400f triple clamp help!

I'm removing the triple tree clamp from my yz400, but running into some troubles. Couple of questions:

1. What size bolt (metric) is the steering shaft nut that rests above handle crown?

2. Will a pipe wrench suffice for "ring nut wrench"?

3. I'd like to simply replace the handle crown (its the only piece broken) but I'm using a yz426 replacement triple tree clamp. Do I need to replace the whole triple clamp or would I be fine with the handle crown?

Thanks in advance, if there has been a topic like this before, SORRY, I did search and couldn't find a whole lot of anything.

1. 30mm, as I recall
  2. Yes, but a large pair of pliers will work just as well, and be easier to use
  3. The 426 top clamp will probably fit fine

Awesome. I'm on my way to finding a 30mm socket and do some work!

Uh oh. Found out from a review on 2000 yz426 that the upper triple clamps were shifted 10mm forward. Looks like I will be replacing the whole tree. No worries, more work :busted:

Uh oh. Found out from a review on 2000 yz426 that the upper triple clamps were shifted 10mm forward. Looks like I will be replacing the whole tree. No worries, more work :busted:
You mean the bars have been shifted 10mm forward, right? The clamp offset on the YZF hasn't ever changed that I can recall. If you try dropping the top clamp on, I think you'll find it fits.

My bad, don't shoot the idiot! Thanks though.