Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bcs

Rusted spark plug

9 posts in this topic

Pulled the plug on my 2006 WR450F today and it looked like this:

DSCN0880.jpg

What the is going on with this? Maybe too much pressure on the garden hose when I wash it? Seems like its pretty hard to get water down from the top, but I guess that drain hole is a possibility...

I put in a new plug, of course, and vaccumed out the spark plug hole just in case any dirt was there. What is causing this? Anything I can do to prevent it?

Antiseize on the sparkplug threads would be a good idea IMO.

Otherwise you did all you could do. Never seen a plug do that. Weird.

yep, that's a sure sign of water... almost glad to see the picture, the thread title had me worried that the rust was on the business side of the plug :busted:

Maybe I should make sure the drain is not clogged with dirt.

By the way, what's up with the spark plug boot on this bike? It's huge. I have never seen one like it. Is there a coil or something built into it? I notice the connector running to the top of it is just two normal wires, not like a traditional "spark plug wire".

By the way, what's up with the spark plug boot on this bike? It's huge. I have never seen one like it. Is there a coil or something built into it? I notice the connector running to the top of it is just two normal wires, not like a traditional "spark plug wire".

ya noticed the same with my plug boot...my plug is simalar to this one but not as bad and i have a 07

have the same bike and the first time I changed plug it looked the same. Make sure the weep hole isnt plug. coat plug with anti seiz and coat plug boot with light grease. Also after washing ride around alittle bit so any water will evaporate. Have not had any more plugs look that way.

I have had the same problem with my 426. Now I'm a little more careful. I make sure to keep as much water as possible away from that area, and I always run the bike for a few minutes after I wash it to evaporate the water from the engine. Since I have been doing this the plugs have looked better although they still show some signs of corrosion.

The water that gets in there gets in from the drain hole when your washing the head. If you power wash it gets lots in there. It will drain out, but it will also rust the plug. Won't hurt a thing.

Bingo. The electric start WR's came standard with coil-over-plug spark plug caps. The pre-2003 models had the coil mounted mounted on the frame with a "traditional spark plug wire" going to the plug.