wanting to put a thumb throttle on my wr450

Not everyone is hating on the quad community.

But the throttle off the YZF450 quad should hook you up.

I hope it works out for you.

I like playin around on quads,but they don't jump,wheelie or go through tight woods like a bike will.

Love my buddies 700 raptor,not crazy about his 660.

ya the 660's arent to great....i could wheelie my 700 as far as i wanted to literally....still workin on them with the wr but i can get em a decent distance now

Yeah don't be hating guys lol, throwing words like "dumb" around is immature on your part. I've got a 700 Raptor and my fiancee has a yfz450. I wouldn't consider either one of us dumb, and while there are irresponsible atv(and dirt bike) riders out there, there are plenty of responsible intelligent ones.

Make yourself get use to the twist, you'll come to love it. Every quad I've owned I quickly remove the thumb throttle and throw a twist on there. Only way to go in my book.

:busted:

I think a thumb throttle on a bike is a bad idea.

Imagine you're taking a tight right hand turn. With a thumb throttle your thumb is almost in your lap. For me that would be kinda awkward and difficult to modulate the throttle correctly.

I also think the bike would be easier to get away from you. With a twist throttle its a deliberate motion to go WOT involving the muscles in your hand and forearm. With a thumb throttle you're just a thumb flick away from having the front end pointing at the sky. The short travel and light throttle action of the keihin FCR carb will just amplify that.

Just my 2 cents.

While I do agree that calling this guy stupid because he is moving to a two wheeler from a four wheeler is probably a bit harsh and unnecessary, I do think that he almost asked for it by using the phrase "quad lifestyle". Hey Raptorguy, don't say that here anymore. I promise you you'll only get abuse from it. That would be like using the phrase "rollerblade lifestyle" in room full of skateboarders, or "Canadian lifestyle" in front Americans. As far as putting a thumb throttle on your wr450, the motor and carb in the yfz450 should be exactly the same, and it should be a pretty easy swap, as long as the new throttle cable is long enough. I have heard of a few people doing this, with mixed results. It can be done, but it probably isn't the best idea.

I think a thumb throttle on a bike is a bad idea.

Imagine you're taking a tight right hand turn. With a thumb throttle your thumb is almost in your lap. For me that would be kinda awkward and difficult to modulate the throttle correctly.

I also think the bike would be easier to get away from you. With a twist throttle its a deliberate motion to go WOT involving the muscles in your hand and forearm. With a thumb throttle you're just a thumb flick away from having the front end pointing at the sky. The short travel and light throttle action of the keihin FCR carb will just amplify that.

Just my 2 cents.

Definitely the best advice on this thread yet. Forget about the bashing. It is better to learn what we all have. Learn the twist. This is coming from a former Seadoo guy also. Good luck. It will all come in time.

While I do agree that calling this guy stupid because he is moving to a two wheeler from a four wheeler is probably a bit harsh and unnecessary, I do think that he almost asked for it by using the phrase "quad lifestyle". Hey Raptorguy, don't say that here anymore. I promise you you'll only get abuse from it. That would be like using the phrase "rollerblade lifestyle" in room full of skateboarders, or "Canadian lifestyle" in front Americans. As far as putting a thumb throttle on your wr450, the motor and carb in the yfz450 should be exactly the same, and it should be a pretty easy swap, as long as the new throttle cable is long enough. I have heard of a few people doing this, with mixed results. It can be done, but it probably isn't the best idea.

thx man:thumbsup:

i say what is a good set up for one person is not a good set up for another.

converting your bike to a thumb throttle should be easy and inexpensive.

try it out........if it works for you......great.

if not, just switch back.

for me, my thumb gets sore quickly when i ride my wife's quad, but you should not have this issue.

but you know, we could come up with tons of reasons why not to do this.

all you need is 1 to do it...........because you want to.

let us know how it turns out........

biwwy

The average quad rider is too dumb to figure out how to use one.

Dear Beezer,

I like big butts and I cannot lie.........

asslikethatl.jpg

Dear Beezer,

asslikethatl.jpg

Dear Beezer,

asslikethatl.jpg

What a nice fart shooter she has!

im coming from a quad lifestyle and i just hate how much less throttle control i have with twist throttle....does anybody know how hard it would be to put a thumb throttle on my 2007 wr450??i know i can get a dual gasser but i would rather just pick up a cheap quad throttle and do that:bonk:

LOL... well i cant picture it myself, but i'm sure its possible :busted::thumbsup::banana:

I think I could see a thumb throttle getting bent/hit/broken on a bike more than it would on a quad. If you land a quad on its side, it will rest on the tires and the bar ends. If you low side a bike, there goes your brake lever (and thumb throttle). That's just a guess but I could see how something sticking out on a bike's bars could end up worse than on a quad.

Yeah my own personal stalker is back!

Sorry I didn't post something to cater more to your sexual preference Charlie but I just don't have any Village People pics on my hard drive.

Tough break lunger.....

GO CrF GO!

Dear Beezer,

asslikethatl.jpg

That is epic :busted:

:busted::thumbsup::banana: :banana: :banana:

:banana: OK at least on the bright side he has seen the evil of his ways and has given up the quad life style and did not ask how to install a six pack rack on the back.:banana:

Seriously, if you are having trouble with the twist throttle your body position is probably wrong. Get your elbows up and out, turning the throttle should be similar to turning a screw driver, not spinning a roll of toilet paper in search of that last square....if that makes any sense. Good luck.

effinn hallarious

a couple of valid points to make here

1. when someone new to motercycles is learning to ride your gonna fall A LOT meaning that thumb throttle has a big chance of getting screwed up

2. there are reasons why motercycle designers and engeners never made the switch if you should trust in anybody it should be the people making the 6000 dollar machine your tugging around the woods

3. you can always try it and switch back if you dont like it but TRUST ME when i say its not that big of a change

4. last dont try taking your bike through deep water like yall "quad lifestyle" people would do

raptor guy - how come you no like the 07 WR?

raptor guy - how come you no like the 07 WR?

i do im just not as happy as i thought i would be....i have messed with the fuel screw a ton and it still studders on 3/4 throttle and its back to all stock....pretty lame you gotta buy the gytr jet kit and jd jet kit to get it jetted right.....im sure once im able to put my full pro circuit t4 exhaust and have it running properly and supermoto'd ill be alot happier with it

i do im just not as happy as i thought i would be....i have messed with the fuel screw a ton and it still studders on 3/4 throttle and its back to all stock....pretty lame you gotta buy the gytr jet kit and jd jet kit to get it jetted right.....im sure once im able to put my full pro circuit t4 exhaust and have it running properly and supermoto'd ill be alot happier with it

The fuel screw only changes how the bike runs from idle to 1/4 throttle.

You need to be changing main jets for 3/4 throttle.

And you can jet it right with out buying any kits.

You just need to buy the correct jets and set your needle at the right position.

Try finding something in the jetting d-base for your elevation and temp to get a baseline.

The fuel screw only changes how the bike runs from idle to 1/4 throttle.

You need to be changing main jets for 3/4 throttle.

on a completely stock bike??i think it should come jetted right from the factory am i not right??