HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrejs2112

2003 Wr450F Won't kick or e-start...locked up now.

14 posts in this topic

I just finished installing a new chain and sprockets on my bike. I went to start it and after a few tries with the e-start, I then kicked it. It made some grinding noise and then stopped kicking all together. I can only get the kick start to go down after moving the bike in gear. The grinding is still there and it eventually locks up again. Could it be the woodruff key issue or something else? I should add that when I tightened the front sprocket, it turned the crank when I didn't have the rear brake on all of the way. Did I hose it up?

Thanks in advance for your input

Just opened up the crankcase cover. Found the stator was chewed up from all of the flywheel allen bolts that broke off in there. Must have happened on my last ride. I didn't feel or hear anything out of the ordinary when riding it last. Why would this happen? Can I put in new allens in the flywheel and re use it? The flywheel looks fine except for the sheared bolts. I'd really like to know what caused this.

If the upgrade has been done (and it sounds like it has) then I'm not sure why the screws would shear. I've never heard of it happening post '03. Is it possible the previous owner repaired it and didn't loctite the screws?

It looks like someone was in there before. The big nut on the rotor assy looked to have marks from a wrench slipping on it.

Anyone know what size the bolts are for the flywheel. I need to replace them. They are allens, but I can't find them online.

If the upgrade has been done (and it sounds like it has) then I'm not sure why the screws would shear. I've never heard of it happening post '03. Is it possible the previous owner repaired it and didn't loctite the screws?

It seems strange that ALL of the screws would back out and shear at about the same length.

It happened my 03 twice. I guess they just get hammered from the starting process. The last time I replaced them with metric allens from the hardware store because they were actually a harder screw.

It happened my 03 twice. I guess they just get hammered from the starting process. The last time I replaced them with metric allens from the hardware store because they were actually a harder screw.

Thanks. Happen to know what size they were?

The manual calls for loctite on the threads but they don't say what type. I think I'd be inclined to go with red (permanent). Also I would probably wait 24 hours before putting oil in the bike just to give it plenty of time to set up.

I can't find anything that talks about the flywheel in the manual. It just show it as one unit, and doesn't call out the bolts or how to install them.

I can't find anything that talks about the flywheel in the manual. It just show it as one unit, and doesn't call out the bolts or how to install them.

Page 4-77. Exploded view shows the tightening torque at 11 ft/lbs and it has the symbol for thread locker pointing to them.

Ok. I see it now. The bolts are part of the starter clutch assembly and not the flywheel. I ordered new ones. Now, to get the broken ones out.

Thanks for your replies and time.