Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
i_wheelie_longer

Leaking Radiator!! Need Help ASAP

17 posts in this topic

I rode my 2006 yz450 over the weekend with no issues at all. I washed the bike immediately when i got home and since sunday it has been sitting on the stand in my garage. tonight i noticed some coolant on the ground below it and saw that my left radiator is leaking at the bottom. there isnt a hole, it is just leaking at the seam. is this something i can JB weld or do I need to buy a new radiator? i need help and suggestions as soon as possible so i can ride this weekend! thanks

Ive seen JB weld work before but when i have a radiator problems i take it to a local radiator shop and they can usually solder it up for about 20 bucks and im back in buisness. They wont fix it if its been jb welded or gunked up with something. Hope that helps.

you can also have it welded alot of teams do that on there bikes i have welded a set up before you do it all the way around the seam.

I believe you would need flux solder, i have always had it fixed. If its a alumium radiator you might have to tig weld it im not sure solder works on aluminum. All i know is if you gunk it up and ever want to get it fixed right they might not fix it because it contaminates it so bad they cant get it clean enough to warranty there work. Most car radiator places should fix it no problem if you have any local. Its definatly cheaper then buying a new one. I also dont reccomend putting that sandy grit sawdust stuff in there to seal it (stop leak). Alot of motors ive took apart had that in there and gunked up the water pump and cavities of the cooling system.

you can also have it welded alot of teams do that on there bikes i have welded a set up before you do it all the way around the seam.

thanks for your help so far, but if i weld all the way around the seam am i really fixing the problem, or just physically preventing coolant from leaking? what i mean is how do i know that the leak isnt somewhere else in the core and simply running down and making its way to the bottom where it leaks out.

you don't. Take it to a radiator shop and they will leak test it to know exactly where it is leaking. Hopefully they will be able to fix it too

I use a radiator pressure testers to find leaks, pump it to the reccomended pressure to your radiator and you usually will see where its coming from. I'd definatly pin point the leak before you start welding.

Unless you are an accomplished aluminum radiator repair tech, don't even attempt it yourself. You'll only make matters worse. Take it to a radiator shop that does aluminum repairs, or send it to Myler's.

i used to work for troy lee designs and we welded all of our rads up no problems. and you would be fixing the problem. the factory stamps them together and when in racing situations you use i a higher pressure cap it makes them swell. to fix it they/we welded them.

i wound up taking my radiator to the local shop like you guys suggested and they fixed it in about an hour for only 35 bucks! so far so good. thanks for the help

I know this is a dated post but does anyone know if an aluminum radiator can be welded at the seam? I wasn't sure if wheelie's was a steel or aluminum radiator. I called a local radiator repair shop today and they said that once an aluminum radiator starts leaking it's screwed. I couldn't find any other radiator shops that were open to get a secnod opinion. I will send it to Myler's worst case scenario but I would rather get it fixed locally if possible. I don't want to have to wait a week to have it back.

I know this is a dated post but does anyone know if an aluminum radiator can be welded at the seam? I wasn't sure if wheelie's was a steel or aluminum radiator. I called a local radiator repair shop today and they said that once an aluminum radiator starts leaking it's screwed. I couldn't find any other radiator shops that were open to get a secnod opinion. I will send it to Myler's worst case scenario but I would rather get it fixed locally if possible. I don't want to have to wait a week to have it back.

Anyone?

Yes, they can be welded by a competent shop. Sounds like your local guy isn't.

Depends on the particular seam that leaks as to whether they need to be welded or opened up and resealed. Some aluminum radiators have tanks that assemble to the core with a gasket an folded tabs, but most motorcycle radiators are 100% welded.

And yes, all aluminum radiators are repairable, and a leaking welded seam can be welded shut. Find a different shop.

if a radiator shop doesn't repair aluminum what do they repair? Not much I assume.

Honestly what percent of current radiators AREN'T aluminum? From my experience 1% ish... Any decent shop can fix them otherwise what's the point of them being in business?

sounds like you need to find a half decent shop