Post Swim Maintenance

Took my bike swimming a few months ago, and my initial concern was the engine. I changed the oil 'til it ran clean, replaced the air filter, drained and cleaned the carb. I finally rode it and I am getting squeeking from the rear shock and the front wheel. This got me thinking what other areas should I be concerned with? The axles? The swingarm? Are there bearings/bushings in the swingarm that may need to be replaced? Any suggestions?

ooof, bummer... full teardown asap dude!!

Full chassis teardown, clean and lubrication are in order. You may end up having to replace all of your bearings (steering head, front & rear wheel, swingarm and linkage) if they were low on grease before the cannonball.

If you clean and grease them yearly with good quality grease, then you might get lucky and only have to clean and regrease them. If you don't think about bearing until you hear a squeak, it may cost you some $$ to get it all fixed right.

I use a good quality boat trailer wheel bearing grease for my wheels, swingarm, linkage and steering stem bearings. Completely waterproof and lasts for at least a year (I clean and lube once a year).

Good luck.

Took my bike swimming a few months ago, and my initial concern was the engine. I changed the oil 'til it ran clean, replaced the air filter, drained and cleaned the carb. I finally rode it and I am getting squeeking from the rear shock and the front wheel. This got me thinking what other areas should I be concerned with? The axles? The swingarm? Are there bearings/bushings in the swingarm that may need to be replaced? Any suggestions?

Might just need to clean and grease,should be done at least once a year anyway.

I use a waterproof grease on all my swingarm and linkage bearings.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm gonna get some beers, turn on the classic rock and have myself a "tear down 'n lube" party this weekend

Does anyone know why Yamaha isn't using bearings with dust-protectors for wheel bearings for ex? I've got 2RS series in my front wheel now, with dust-protectors on both sides.

They have wheel bearing seals.

do u have to have a press if u want to grease the swing arm bearings? i have the engine of my bike right now cause im doing a full rebuild. i think i saw some one say that u need the press to put the swing arm bearings back together.

do u have to have a press if u want to grease the swing arm bearings? i have the engine of my bike right now cause im doing a full rebuild. i think i saw some one say that u need the press to put the swing arm bearings back together.

If you were replacing the bearings a press would be nice, for pushing the bearing races out and installing the new ones.

But it can be done without a press.

I bought a el-cheapo bearing and seal installer at harbor freight. $11.00

It has an assortment of tips with a handle that screwed into them that you smacked with a hammer.

Found the right sized tip to push the old races out.take your time and dont rush things.you dont want to gouge the inside of the swingarm.

When I installed the new bearings I used a propane torch to heat the swingarm up and get the aluminum to expand making the new bearing race slide in a whole lot easier

When you are greasing them,just slide the collar out of the center of the bearing, push the collar through into a rag because some of the roller (needle) bearings may come out with it.(some of the bearings have the rollers(needles) in a cage some do not).If you have the bearings with a cage holding the bearings do not try to remove them. Do one side at a time so you dont mix roller (needle) bearings or collars.(In case you bought the bike used and someone may have replaced 1 side and not the other).

Clean all the parts and grease, I use a waterproof grease like is used on boat trailer axles.