no WR's for 2010

not sure if thats posted over here, i put my other thread in YZ land because that's what that thread was on topic for... but anyways... i heard it directly from the exec's themselves that several models will either be limited or suspended for part or all of 2010, the US president of yamaha was present, so i assume this info is pretty accurate...

TTR and PW models, due to what i believe is excess inventory levels, will either be reduced or suspended totally for 2010... quietly included in the bulletlist/powerpoint was no new WR models either... now no reason at all given specifically for the WR, just a comment about the width of the TTR line and a PC comment about stagnant inventory across the planet... makes sense really, and honestly after seeing the new YZ and what looks like and especially what that means to the WR, i think that would not have gotten the treatment until next year anyways, since the WR lags the YZ equipment levels typically, so whatever i guess

anyways thought i should share that with my fellow WR riders :busted: ...if you want to rumor mill it a little, there was some buzz on a fully plated street legal and real 450 is coming for 2011, but you know as well as i do, that every year has a meeting with that same dream floated around so me, i'm not holding my breath... what was clear was that yamaha will not back a drz type dual sport, detuned to the point of futility.. if we get one, it will be something that can be desmogged and blockplated back to 'normal' so... at least we have that going our way...

the other major problem i see for us WR types, is where do you put a bigger tank on that bike?? the market for desert tanks just got pitched on its ear.. maybe there's more hidden volume in there, its just going to take another model year to find it LOL... i mean i wont put it past yamaha to do anything really at this point, if you saw how non-existant the new airbox is, they could probably figure out how to carry gas in the frame next.. who knows

anyways the thread i mentioned is in the YZ forum if you want to see some pictures of the 2010 YZ i took

Maybe the bike world will see what the sleds saw this spring. I bought a hold over 2007 Yamaha Apex Mountain SE in January 2008. The original price was crowding $11,000, I got it for $9,000 and thought I got a good deal. There were still holdover 2007 Apex Mountains around the spring going for around $6,000, few even under that. It wasn't only Yamaha the others were down there as well. Maybe they will knock $8,000 WR's down to $5,000 (or less)and I can finally get one.....

well, not that i'm at the podium of absolute knowledge on this, but my interpretation is anything TTR, PW or WR has an '09, may have a '10 but in limited numbers... if you do get those, they will be a continuation build of the current 2009 bike

so i'm sure there will be 2010 bikes somewhere, they will just be 2009's effectively

Whew. So I'm gathering that there wont be an all new 2010 wr450, but most likely there "should" be something new to look for in 2011, probably something along the lines of a barely street legal enduro like the KTM EXCs or the Husky TE. I sure hope that they don't give the entire line the old heave-ho. That would be really bad for me. I've been getting kind of fed up with the whole state of what Yamaha has been putting out there in terms of the two bikes that matter to me, the yz250 2stroke, and the wr450f. I was super excited to see the arrival of the new yz's, because they have historically been a showcase a lot of the cool new parts and tech that trickle down to the wr, and other bikes. 2010 has brought me the 5th year of the same exact yz250 that they have been selling. A great bike yes, but a bike that the ktm is starting to pass by. 2010 will bring the 4th year of the same wr450 that has been sold since 07. I understand that these bikes are both sad sacks in terms of sales, but they are the only real offroad worthy bikes that yamaha sells. I am currently in the market for a new(ish) 250 2stroke, and I was planning on getting another yz250. I always have 2 bikes, and having two different bikes that are made by the same manufacturer has shown to me to be the best way to go. There are lots of overlapping parts, and you only need to order parts from one dealer, and its really proven itself to be the way to go. My problem now, is that with the yz250 2 strokes' future not looking good, and the wr's future now being hazy, do I buy an orange 2 stroke in a month or two, and then replace my blue 450 with an orange a year or two down the road? Or Husky? I had planned to get a new wr in 11 anyway. But now I don't know. I have always really liked all of my blue bikes best, and they have never given me much trouble. However, maybe getting offroad bikes from a company that is an offroad focused company just makes more sense than buying offroad bikes from a company focused on motocross. It just sucks for me I guess. Wah.

You've already got the aluminum framed wr? what more do you need from that bike? Making it lighter is all that it really needs.

I don't know why you don't have a yz250 in your stable. I can't think of one thing that they need to add to that bike.

I'm not saying that new stuff isn't nice, but you already seem to have some of the best stuff that's out there.

Hey Maurice, I have a 99 yz250 that is hooked up pretty well. It's a great bike. I've ridden a stock 06 yz250. It's better. I've ridden a new ktm 300, it's better. What do I want? I want the cool new shite I guess. I'm just sad to see my favorite manufacturer not improving their product. I know that the 250 2 stroke seems to be making somewhat of a comeback. If you look at the 06 yz250 vs the 06 ktm250 xc/w or the ktm300xc/w, the yz is the better bike in my opinion. The major advantage in stock form is the suspension, which set up for moto is dialed for a 165lb person. That translates to a perfect offroad setup for me at 185-195 in offroad trim. However, that bike has stayed the same. It is a great bike, but it's stayed the same, except for minor changes. So if you were to press pause, the yz would be the better bike, but as things have moved on the ktms have improved every year. Even husky's are improving. I understand that the motorcycle business is a business, and that lower sales will mean less R&D, and so on and and so on.

The ktm 300 is a bike that they can't keep on the dealer's showroom floors. I know a guy who waited 6 months for one. It is actually ktm's best selling bike in the us. The current yz250, with some minor massaging, and some stock yami wr trim, like a stator, flywheel, 18 inch rear, larger tank and probably just a new ignition would be in the exact same ballpark for a lot less coin. That would of course be the rebirth of the old wr250 2 stroke, that died out long in the mid 90's because the market didn't seem to be there. More people used the yz for offroad, than the wr, so the wr got the ax. But other manufacturers seem to be selling these bikes. Ktm seems to have made the majority of their share of the american market doing so. I doubt that they are selling them at crf450r numbers, but they are selling them. I see them at the enduros I run. In 2010, the huskys will have kyb sss suspension, and the wr300 will be getting better. The Ktm will have improvements and the yz will stay the same as it has been since 06.

The entire evolution of the offroad 2stroke marketplace frustrates me, as the people who make my favorite bike seem to have kind of just given up, but my wr450 had kept me on the blue team. Now that even the future of that bike and its marketplace validity seem to be in question, I'm kind of worried. I want to be able to have the coolest new stuff. One with four strokes, one with two. End of story.

You could have pressed pause on a 1989 yz250, and asked what more do you want? And if other manufacturers hadn't improved their product, and everything hadn't moved along, no one would know any better. If properly maintained, an 89 yz might still be a fun bike, but how would it stack up with a 94, or a 98, or a new bike? Not well. Other manufacturers are moving forward, and the yz is losing ground. It makes me sad to see the wr following suit.

the 2 stroke YZ250 came up, it will have a 2010 model not affected by the psuedo '09 recovery plan.. whether or not the tech level of that bike will be upped or not, that did not really come up, but the YZ line overall is a go and the smoker is still in it so if i were a 2 stroke fan, i'd have to call it good news... come to think of it, there was a 2010 at the debut

personally i dont know if the 2 stroke can die.. there's so many places not burdened like kommiefornia that dont shun those bikes, all the freestylers seem to prefer them as well, its a killer design with few moving parts... and i would be surprised to see ktm left alone to dominate that segment

Hey Maurice, I have a 99 yz250 that is hooked up pretty well. It's a great bike. I've ridden a stock 06 yz250. It's better. I've ridden a new ktm 300, it's better. What do I want? I want the cool new shite I guess. I'm just sad to see my favorite manufacturer not improving their product. I know that the 250 2 stroke seems to be making somewhat of a comeback. If you look at the 06 yz250 vs the 06 ktm250 xc/w or the ktm300xc/w, the yz is the better bike in my opinion. The major advantage in stock form is the suspension, which set up for moto is dialed for a 165lb person. That translates to a perfect offroad setup for me at 185-195 in offroad trim. However, that bike has stayed the same. It is a great bike, but it's stayed the same, except for minor changes. So if you were to press pause, the yz would be the better bike, but as things have moved on the ktms have improved every year. Even husky's are improving. I understand that the motorcycle business is a business, and that lower sales will mean less R&D, and so on and and so on.

The ktm 300 is a bike that they can't keep on the dealer's showroom floors. I know a guy who waited 6 months for one. It is actually ktm's best selling bike in the us. The current yz250, with some minor massaging, and some stock yami wr trim, like a stator, flywheel, 18 inch rear, larger tank and probably just a new ignition would be in the exact same ballpark for a lot less coin. That would of course be the rebirth of the old wr250 2 stroke, that died out long in the mid 90's because the market didn't seem to be there. More people used the yz for offroad, than the wr, so the wr got the ax. But other manufacturers seem to be selling these bikes. Ktm seems to have made the majority of their share of the american market doing so. I doubt that they are selling them at crf450r numbers, but they are selling them. I see them at the enduros I run. In 2010, the huskys will have kyb sss suspension, and the wr300 will be getting better. The Ktm will have improvements and the yz will stay the same as it has been since 06.

The entire evolution of the offroad 2stroke marketplace frustrates me, as the people who make my favorite bike seem to have kind of just given up, but my wr450 had kept me on the blue team. Now that even the future of that bike and its marketplace validity seem to be in question, I'm kind of worried. I want to be able to have the coolest new stuff. One with four strokes, one with two. End of story.

You could have pressed pause on a 1989 yz250, and asked what more do you want? And if other manufacturers hadn't improved their product, and everything hadn't moved along, no one would know any better. If properly maintained, an 89 yz might still be a fun bike, but how would it stack up with a 94, or a 98, or a new bike? Not well. Other manufacturers are moving forward, and the yz is losing ground. It makes me sad to see the wr following suit.

I hear ya... I got my plated wr450 that I love. Its heavy when I drop it. But when I don't, its awesome.

I also have a fully setup 01 yz250, which is the same as the 99 that you have. I've got the full wr tranny, custom suspension, rekluse pro, trials tires, air cells, flexx handlebars, etc...

I can't think of anything to add to it. I do love the newer yz250 forks and have a set in my garage waiting for me to get a set of triple clamps for it. But truthfully, my existing suspension is just fine. So the forks sit there...

I've run out of things to do and to ask for from this yz. No new feature would help me be a faster or better rider. The only thing I can do next for it is to trade it in on ktm300e :busted:

I hear ya... I got my plated wr450 that I love. Its heavy when I drop it. But when I don't, its awesome.

I also have a fully setup 01 yz250, which is the same as the 99 that you have. I've got the full wr tranny, custom suspension, rekluse pro, trials tires, air cells, flexx handlebars, etc...

I can't think of anything to add to it. I do love the newer yz250 forks and have a set in my garage waiting for me to get a set of triple clamps for it. But truthfully, my existing suspension is just fine. So the forks sit there...

I've run out of things to do and to ask for from this yz. No new feature would help me be a faster or better rider. The only thing I can do next for it is to trade it in on ktm300e :busted:

what year is your plated WR?? did you get it in before '04 or so??

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard the same thing from my local dealer. No 2010 WR's. Apparently there are still plenty of 2009's still remaining. It sounded like we may see a 2010 when the overstock of "non-currents" shrinks.

I've got an '07...I'm cool for now but do look forward to seeing what YZ stuff will trickle down to the future WR. I'm stuck trying to figure out how in the hell they are gonna make a bigger tank with that forward mounted airbox. Love to see this bike with a plate!!!

Yeah, this just makes me happy to see my '07 will make another year without being an obsolete version. 08-09 didn't see any real improvements anyway, right? At this point, your rejetted, resuspended, amored WR is going to be a better bike than Yammy can sell of the showfloor today. Nice! :busted:

I have heard the same thing from my local dealer. No 2010 WR's. Apparently there are still plenty of 2009's still remaining. It sounded like we may see a 2010 when the overstock of "non-currents" shrinks.

I've got an '07...I'm cool for now but do look forward to seeing what YZ stuff will trickle down to the future WR. I'm stuck trying to figure out how in the hell they are gonna make a bigger tank with that forward mounted airbox. Love to see this bike with a plate!!!

Yeah, me too! I'm wondering if they could make a more rigid tank and have it sitting under the seat all the way back....should add another gallon or so. Maybe the WR won't need as big of an air intake and can sacrifice that for more fuel available in the front...?

Yeah, me too! I'm wondering if they could make a more rigid tank and have it sitting under the seat all the way back....should add another gallon or so. Maybe the WR won't need as big of an air intake and can sacrifice that for more fuel available in the front...?

it will be Interesting to see what They come up with maybe with FI you will get better gas mileage, or maybe we will have extra gas tanks on the side of the bike like Dakar rally biks, hopefully not.