HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motodiver13

Head Work

8 posts in this topic

I need to clean the head on my '98 WR 400. If I disassemble the valve train do I need to Lap the valves in when I re-assemble?

Also, does anyone know a source for rebuilt cranks?

Thanks

Your 400 has steel valves right? If so I 'think' you lapp them but I'm not 100% sure, you will need to cut the valve seats and who ever does that will know.

I ended up just buying a new crank, as getting one rebuilt was only $75 cheaper and was faster and more reliable than getting one rebuilt.

Thanks- Did you go OEM or aftermarket? If you went aftermarket, where?

I went OEM. The aftermarket I believe are simply rebuilt cranks and not newly designed and tooled components. But I'm not certain....

If I disassemble the valve train do I need to Lap the valves in when I re-assemble?
You don't NEED to, but it's very cheap and easy to do and it won't hurt. Also, you don't need the valve seats re-cut unless you are having seating problems. Lapping will help determine if the valves are not seating properly.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I am going to part out the bike. I got it cheap and it need a whole new bottom end, crank, bearings, etc...