ball park on a new clutch

ok so today my clutch burnt up, or dissinagrated:bonk: . has anyone replaced a clutch on a *05 YZ450F*? im having the shop do it, so me n my dad wont accidentaly mess something up.

any ball park prices???

I would guess about $300 in labor. Thats 4 hours at $75 an hour.

Then its going to need fresh oil and filter plus whatever parts your dealership decides to sell you.

So just ballpark $500 is the low end $1000 is a possible number.

For that kind of money you might as well just buy a rekluse and install it yourself.

man my buddy was wrong when he said 120$.

like wut my bike does like u put it in gear (when started) and the tire will sloly rotate like normal, and if u hit the brakes the tire will stop and the engine will keep going. so that is the clutch right?

replacing a clutch in a YZ 450 is about a 15 minute job. New plates and springs is about 150 if you replace everything. Unless you damaged the hub, basket or pressure plate it should be no big deal. Do you have a manual? This is one of the easiest jobs you can do yourself. The main thing is to torque the bolts properly because it is easy to break the fingers off the hub if you over torque.

ya i got a manual but i dnt realy know if anything got fubar'ed in the process tho and i know mechanical stuff i wont say i know alot but i do know a bit. but i just dont want to screw anything up

Agreed 15mins in and out easily, easily. total clutch replacement, replacing the whole clutch isnt much harder than changing the plates. I would do it your self.

Do you have a manual for your bike?

If not go to https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/myyamaha/login/L3Nwb3J0L215eWFtYWhhL2hvbWUuYXNweA==/starthere.aspx make an account.

It will need the VIN number for your bike and then you can read an online version.

Yamaha manuals are very helpfull, it will give you a complete list of specifications for your clutch plates and springs.

If you replaced the platesand springs it would run you about $120 for the parts.

The guys that posted while I was writing this and looking up parts are correct it is not a tough job.

And it doesn't sound like you totally killed your clutch,sounds like worn plates and weak springs.

I would guess about $300 in labor. Thats 4 hours at $75 an hour.

Then its going to need fresh oil and filter plus whatever parts your dealership decides to sell you.

So just ballpark $500 is the low end $1000 is a possible number.

Four hours? :busted: The mechanic would be paid no more than an hour for the clutch and possibly as much as half an hour for an oil change. He can do the entire job in 45 minutes or less quite easily, though.

The manual can be downloaded without creating and account at:

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/community/service/manuals.jsp

Ok the labor number might have been a little high,but not that much.

But do we really know the extent of the damage in the clutch?

Could he need a new clutch cage? CHA CHING!!

It doesnt sound bad from what the OP says.

But just drop your bike of to most dealers to work on it and see what kind of bill they hand you.

Some of them would replace every clutch part in there if they thought they could get away with it.

And the mechanic has to go find the bike,,get the parts,,start it,,warm it up,,,drain the oil,,,pull the clutch cover.That all takes time in the shop.

And then he can do that little 45 min job of replacing parts.

There is a flat rate book they go by just like an auto mechanic uses.

It factors in all the little things that go along with simply putting new clutch plates and springs in.

I bet if the Op were to call his local shop to get a price quote my $500 would be right in the "ballpark"

Shoot if he lives in the second most populated city in Wyoming (Casper) the closest dealership in the same state is 150 miles away in Sheridan. (Closest South dakota dealership might be 30 miles closer)

There isn't a dealership every 15 miles like there is in so cal, which helps keep the cost of fixing your bike down due to competition.

There is a flat rate book they go by just like an auto mechanic uses.

It factors in all the little things that go along with simply putting new clutch plates and springs in.

That was my point. And I'll guarantee there's nothing you can do to a clutch that will pay a tech 4 hours.

Repair shops in virtually every state are required to provide written estimates of the parts they intend to use and the labor they intend to charge. They cannot exceed the estimate without prior approval from the owner, either. No one should accept an estimate for more than a basic replacement until after the bike is opened up.

The plates and springs should be $180 or less, so with an hour's time at $75, the basic ballpark should be closer to $255. If he trashed the basket, boss, and pressure plate, then there's $400 additional parts, and 0.3 hr $22.50 more labor.

ya well thmx for the input me n my dad are going to pull the case cover off and look n see the damage one of these nights. my dad told me hes done it b4 so im gunna cross my fingers!

You should be able to handle the job. But do yourself a favor and check the free play adjustment first.