YOU with the YZ144

• 4 weeks later...

Beware of running the leaner jets in the UK- I wrecked countless pistons and fine wire plugs when I fitted a VHM YZ144 head with a slightly domed Wiseco 58mm piston / FMF Fatty with FMF shorty- The exhaust combo works well with the 144 kit but I do run the one setting richer needle than std. and anything between a 460-500 main in the winter on the sand- Without 98/99 octane fuel she will detonate- be careful , be prepared to check jetting often once out to 144cc

im running a athena kit and stock jetting is perfect,410 main,40 pilot,have gone 2 clips leaner on the needle,from 4 to 2,have had it checked but the local tuning guru and he agreed that its perfect,conditions here are 15-25 degrees celcius and 0-100 meters sea level,(in New Zealand)

the tuner also said run 30% race feul with 98 pump gas,(aviation fuel for me as my girlfriend works at a airfield.sweet)

Edited by whips

• 1 month later...

ok guys it crunch time and i need your help :cheers:

i am doing the winter rebuild and now would be the time to do the 144 conversion so what i am asking is

is the conversion worth the cash it going to set me back in the region of £ 700 / £900 uk pounds and a dont want to spend that kind of cash and be disapointed if u know what i mean !

or should a just srend some of the cash on tuning the 125 engine with a pipe v froce and vortex ignition pack ?

help and advice is needed guys :moon:

ok guys it crunch time and i need your help :cheers:

i am doing the winter rebuild and now would be the time to do the 144 conversion so what i am asking is

is the conversion worth the cash it going to set me back in the region of £ 700 / £900 uk pounds and a dont want to spend that kind of cash and be disapointed if u know what i mean !

or should a just srend some of the cash on tuning the 125 engine with a pipe v froce and vortex ignition pack ?

help and advice is needed guys :moon:

Have a look at Eric Gore's web site. He has some really good deals which will not cost anywhere near that.

i just did an eric gorr yz 144 for my friends son. it was under $500 with pston and gaskets. as far as porting he basiclly just modified the exhaust port. i only got to rie it up and down a field to jet, but i liked it made me want one. the price is good and its basic so you dont run into problems with exotic type motors.

We ran an EG144 kit here in the uk , had many problems with detonation once the weather got colder and low altitude tracks, deep sand / wood chip. In the end we were running one step richer needle , used a 500 size main jet on the beach , still didn't 4 stroke !. Found that a FMF Fatty exhaust and FMF silencer worked well on the 144 , except it promoted the detonation. Haven't had experience of the Athena kit , heard some good things, some negative- good luck- We loved the YZ with the 144 kit , got 33 bhp at the back wheel on a dyno , when it was running a bit rich- compared to the dyno testers 125 it had 3-4 bhp more between 6-9000 rpm , same bhp figures at peak though. Just wasn't reliable once I fitted a VHM head , FMF Fatty pipe- approx 3 hrs per piston at best- Using Avgas helped even though the VHM head was supposed to run on Super Unleaded. Good Luck

cheers for the info m8 :thumbsup:i am expecting lots of time to be spent on jetting and setting things up the guy who sold me the kit was running jetting all standard except a 480 main so it just a case of trying things out , im just the pilot my good friend at tote motorsport is the 2 stroke wizard :moon:

• 4 weeks later...

hi mac 132, im about to do the athena 144 to my 2006 yz let me know how it goes i plan on using my HGS pipe (125cc) v-force 45pilot 470 main 3rd clip and see how it goes hoping to try it in half term (mid feb) let me know if you have any tips thanks greg

hi mac 132, im about to do the athena 144 to my 2006 yz let me know how it goes i plan on using my HGS pipe (125cc) v-force 45pilot 470 main 3rd clip and see how it goes hoping to try it in half term (mid feb) let me know if you have any tips thanks greg

hi there just finished rebuilding engine and should be fitting it this weekend m8 i am running a doma front pipe bud tail pipe , v force 3 block and will be starting at a 480 main one clip richer and standard pilot, prob be a bit rich but will lean it down if required , i cannot wait to see the results and will post up as soon as its been out cheers :ride:

• 5 months later...

Dont be afraid to try smaller main jets. I would put money on the fact that it would pull hard all of the way through the rpm range. I started with a 440 Main and the bike ran fine, but the powerband did not pull very far. I worked my way down to a 390 and the powerband is great. Very dramatic difference that a $5 jet makes. I do run 50/50 race/pump mix.

07 Eric Gorr YZ144

37.5/390

PC Pipe and Shorty

750'