HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bhsballer76

Transmission Help Please

5 posts in this topic

A freind of mine came across a really good deal on a 2007 Yz450f. Bike appears to be in great shape and the price is def right. Only problem is the owner says the transmission is making " some noise" and that it wont go into neutral.. He says other than that the motor is solid.

My question is does anyone have an idea what he would be looking at for repairs? I would most likely be helping him out if he were to purchase the bike. I have never really worked on transmissions before but i am pretty well mechanically inclined.

I was looking at a set of gears and they go for a couple hundered bucks on ebay.. Would putting in a new set of gears eliminate any problems?? How involved is putting in new gears??

Basically just trying to figure out if he should look further into this bike or stay clear. Thanks.

The only way you'll know what's wrong is to tear the whole thing down. You can guess all day based on your description, but that's what it comes down to.

whats envolved? like gray racer said, disassmbly of the engine and splitting of the cases. might be a clutch or gearshifting mechanism problem tho.

whats envolved? like gray racer said, disassmbly of the engine and splitting of the cases. might be a clutch or gearshifting mechanism problem tho.

yea, he is weighing the cost of the bike into hand. he could spend several hundred fixing it and it would still be a steal, assuming everything else on the bike is in good order.

It could be nothing more than normal engine trans noise and a bad clutch, but you need to get an accurate idea first.