flywheel removal help

heres my cylinder what do you think?

DSCN8049.jpg

DSCN8029.jpg

Looks like it has quite a bit of crosshatching.....I can't tell you for sure if it's not in my hands if you need to hone or not. ATF = automatic transmission fluid

is minerial spirts paint thiner? aslo if my cylinder jug feels smooth and its right on spec bore is it necessary to hone it.
Paint thinner is similar to mineral spirits, can they can be interchanged, but mineral spirits is a better choice.

On the cylinder, read:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4380759#post4380759

wats atf
automatic trans fluid. Nothing better for removing grit from a machine surface.

Reverse directions without stopping, so that the hone is always moving along the length of the bore as it turns.

so i put the drill in reverse after going foward and keep going up and down a few times?

if i get a 4'' one is that too big or do they compress and only take a very small amount off the cylinder wall?

i went to orieleys auto parts, Napa and auto zone and they only hade stone hones and said they could order one but it would be 179 bucks. know any where i can get a cheap one at?

Watch this video about honing good info. for you:

is minerial spirts paint thiner?

You can use mineral spirits for paint thinner, but they are not the same thing. Mineral spirits will dissolve all of the oil and grease and clean up without leaving an oily residue.

You can get it at any hardware store, just look for the can that says "Mineral Spirits". Odorless works just as well as the normal stuff.

As far as your cylinder goes, if you do hone it, don't go overboard. You can destroy the plating on the cylinder wall very quickly with a hone. Read the posts that others have linked to in earlier replies (especially the one Gray highlighted). Follow the proceedure religiously and you should be alright.

do u think i would be ok with out a hone?

my cylinder was at stock spec when i measured it. unless it has a lot of glaze on it( i dont really now what that would look like) i dont want to have to buy another tool. it looks like it still has good cross hatching on it. also if you guys think i should do it because it could cause problems or harm the engine where can i get a spring ball hone at a good price?

Reverse directions without stopping, so that the hone is always moving along the length of the bore as it turns.

so i put the drill in reverse after going foward and keep going up and down a few times?

if i get a 4'' one is that too big or do they compress and only take a very small amount off the cylinder wall?

You don't reverse the drill. Keep it running as you reverse the down stroke to come back up. 4" is the perfect size.

what grit? and what should it be made of? aluminum oxide, silicon carbide, or something else? i couldnt find one at any auto parts store so i guess ill have to order one if im going to hone the cylinder. from what i found on the web they range from 40-200 dollars are so. any one know where to get a good priced one online? thanks for all your repleys everyone, you have all been a huge help since i joined the site.

Do you have a good machine shop near by? Take it to them they should charge less than $30 to hone it. Just make sure they have done motorcycle cylinders that are nikasil plated before. Ask them if they know what that is, that is a good way to find out if they are a good shop to use for honing. I only suggest this because you seem very new to this and with no experience you can possibly mess things up. Just being on the safe side in other words

ill see if a place by me can do it. i took the head to this proformence shop and he said it would cost to much too repair my head so i bought a new one.they proboly can do it. it doesnt look that hard though too drill back and forth a few times. today i pulled the clutch and clutch cover and now im about ready to split the cases.

No it shouldn't be too hard to hone yourself. But if you don't want to buy another tool you can probably get it done cheaper by a shop, but then again you will always have the tool next time.

You bought a new head? That must have been pricey. Didn't Grey tell you about a place that fixes damaged ones?.....

edco wanted 571 labor without parts to fix my head and i got an oem one for 600 on motosport.com

last night i was trying to remove a gear in the engine and i didnt get it out after fidling around with it for a while. it is the gear to the right of the clutch. you have to put the clutch on and then wedge a washer inbetween the gears of the clutch and this gear. i watched a video of a guy doing it and he said to use an aluminum washer to wedge inbetween so it wouldn't hurt the gear. i used the lock washer from the clutch but stopped after the washer almost got stuck or i damaged something plus it was getting late.are two stroke bottom ends almost the same as four stroke bottom ends? the video i was watching was a rebuild on a two stroke yamaha? so far everything my engine looks about exactly like in the video

i went to the engine place by me and they are doing a minimum hone for 10 bucks, cant beat that. im going to try to go and work on getting the gears out of the engine and split the cases tonight i think.

They do know it's nikasil plated and they have done motorcycle cylinders before right? I hope so. Some automotive machine shops think they know it all and could screw it up big time..

lets hope. i told him it was a dirt bike cylinder. they have work on bikes before. how could they mess it up?

They could mess it up if they just think it is a normal steel bore and not nikasil. They might take off too much material. That's the only reason I told you a couple days ago to make sure they know about these kind of cylinders and to make sure they have worked on them before. I wasn't trying to scare you just giving you a heads up.