To remove or not to remove?

Ok so I just picked this new to me mint 07 WR450 up yesterday and I've got a couple questions. First off, I've been away from Yamaha for a while now and just coming back, crossing fingers that I will really like this bike, comparing it to my former '09 KTM 450XCW (which I loved but had to sell ? . Anyhow the previous owner did a few things to it in the time he owned it ie; AIS kit, Unabiker rad guards, Acerbis barkbusters and uncorked the exhaust, so he says. However when you look at the exhuast you see this....

IMG00043.jpg

I'm just curious, should I cut/remove that section from within the exhaust and if I do does it help at all? Here are some pix of the bike BTW, snatched this up for $4300

WR4502.jpg

WR4501.jpg

WR4503.jpg

Ok so I just picked this new to me mint 07 WR450 up yesterday and I've got a couple questions. First off, I've been away from Yamaha for a while now and just coming back, crossing fingers that I will really like this bike, comparing it to my former '09 KTM 450XCW (which I loved but had to sell ? . Anyhow the previous owner did a few things to it in the time he owned it ie; AIS kit, Unabiker rad guards, Acerbis barkbusters and uncorked the exhaust, so he says. However when you look at the exhuast you see this....

IMG00043.jpg

I'm just curious, should I cut/remove that section from within the exhaust and if I do does it help at all? Here are some pix of the bike BTW, snatched this up for $4300

WR4502.jpg

WR4501.jpg

WR4503.jpg

Yor not kidding it's mint. It looks like it's never been ridden....

I have exactly the same bike as you.

IMHO if you have money to burn then buy an aftermarket exhaust.

If you don't have money to burn then open the stocker up properly and fit a second hand YZ450F header.

This will give you the same (possibly even better) performance than most aftermarket mufflers.

(Now listen for the howls of disapproval from the guys who've spent money on those exhausts! ? )

The only advantages the aftermarket ones (over a properly opened stocker) have is weight and bling.

Read through this (the whole thing) : https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349760&highlight=Modified+Muffler+saves+big+%24%24%24%24

Good luck!

Greg

Well here's the deal, if I like the bike enough I will just get a FMF 4.1 rather than start hacking stuff up. I was just curious if pulling that little tip out was something people did on these and if it would help. I'm guessing it would sound rather odd with out it though, so I'll just leave it there for a little while.

Instead of "hacking" the stock pipe why not at a minimum pick a YZ exhaust

Got two of them, a long and a shorty..... Tried 'em both.

Seat of the pants neither is as good as the properly modified WR stocker by my experience.

The YZ headers are worth tracking down and using though mind you. They will work with any of the mufflers.

I can't tell the difference between the "powerbomb" and "non-powerbomb" YZ headers when riding the bike to be honest.

But either is an improvement over the WR unit thanks no doubt to the increased diameter of the YZ versions.

The non-PB one is actually larger in diameter again than the PB version.

My two cents worth.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing anyway wrfrk!

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

On my 08, I went straight to the slip-on with a yz header. :ride:

Just curious Coops, did you try the YZ header on its own (or the slip-on on it's own) at any stage.

I've got the stock header but same slip-on as you. Wondering how much of a different the YZ header made?

By the way, another vote here for getting an after-market slip-on. I went from the GYTR end cap to FMF 4.1, and I don't know whether it was just in my head or in real terms, but either way I reckon it made a big difference. Put a smile on my dial.

Actually that's just what I did, new slip-on all together. I went with the Lexx Mxe though. Normally I would buy FMF, but I've heard plenty of good feedback about this pipe, so I thought what the heck. It was also much less $$ so that was nice as well. Can't wait to see how it performs now combined with the JD jet kit.

Just curious Coops, did you try the YZ header on its own (or the slip-on on it's own) at any stage.

I've got the stock header but same slip-on as you. Wondering how much of a different the YZ header made?

No and the reason I didnt was because I was coming off an 06 WR450

The steal WR's came stock with a yz header and I did NOT want to have any drop off in power. So when I was building my bike, I went straight for the YZ header

The steal WR's came stock with a yz header and I did NOT want to have any drop off in power. So when I was building my bike, I went straight for the YZ header[/QUOT

How much more bling is the new wr compared to the 06wr????

The steal WR's came stock with a yz header and I did NOT want to have any drop off in power. So when I was building my bike, I went straight for the YZ header[/QUOT

How much more bling is the new wr compared to the 06wr????

Motor has some minor changes

FRAME is all new as of 2007, aluminum frame/chasis

New lighting system