Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quinndog

Best aftermarket waterpump?

15 posts in this topic

Took the 08 WR450F out for 2 days of poker runs (30 miles each) with the 9 & 10 year old grandkids and with the slow riding and quad stack ups on the trail, my bike got REALLY HOT and boiled about 1/3 of the coolant out, and thats running Engine Ice and shutting it off when stopped.....a whole lot of clutch slipping did not help, but no choice. Any sugjestions on an aftermarket water pump, or should I just go with the Boysen pump and housing?:thumbsup:

I have the Boyesen on my 07 and it's a vast improvement. It can still boil but I boil alot less than when I ran my bike without it.

I like slow, gnarly technical singletrack...... with lots of hills :thumbsup:

Sounds good, I think I'll order one tonight! thanks for the info guy's!!!! I have a Trail Tech Vapor , and it was reading a max temp of 273 degrees. I don't know how accurate it is but I know she got HOT!!!!

Sounds good, I think I'll order one tonight! thanks for the info guy's!!!! I have a Trail Tech Vapor , and it was reading a max temp of 273 degrees. I don't know how accurate it is but I know she got HOT!!!!

Would be good if you could post your temp differences after in similar conditions.

I know another TT member did and he was getting quite the temp difference, but it was road riding so it would be good to see the difference offroad.

Not a bad plan, I think I'll run a pretty tight local trail before and after the install and try to keep the variables as low as possible (outside temp ect) and see how it comes out. Boyesen site says 30 Degrees. I dont know how much difference Engine Ice makes, it did not seem to make much difference in my street bike (ZX-14). If it’s worth it I’ll get one for my 08 YZ250F also.

Not a bad plan, I think I'll run a pretty tight local trail before and after the install and try to keep the variables as low as possible (outside temp ect) and see how it comes out. Boyesen site says 30 Degrees. I dont know how much difference Engine Ice makes, it did not seem to make much difference in my street bike (ZX-14). If it’s worth it I’ll get one for my 08 YZ250F also.

Sounds good, keep us posted :thumbsup:

For your type of riding, you might want to consider installing an electric fan on one of the radiators. I think air flow is your problem, not so much water flow.

Do you know of a fan setup that fits? It's also street legal, so a fan would REALLY help in traffic.

nitronaf, where is your temp sensor situated? just curious coz I run WR motard with Boyesen pump+engine ice and the hottest I've seen was 75C, normal running 55-60 which might be too cool, my sensor is on the left radiator upper hose