problem lowering my radiators

hi,

I tried lowering the radiators on my (yzf450 2009 with a drd exhaust) bike myself, but I had a problem. On the right side the radiator doesn't want to move down because of the radiator hose.

did anyone ever have this problem? what can i do? do I have to cut the radiator hose that goes to the water pump?

I've never installed that kit, but I would think there would be no way around cutting it. What I wonder is how do you bolt the bottom of your shrouds down when the radiators no longer line up with the bolt holes?

hi,

I tried lowering the radiators on my (yzf450 2009 with a drd exhaust) bike myself, but I had a problem. On the right side the radiator doesn't want to move down because of the radiator hose.

did anyone ever have this problem? what can i do? do I have to cut the radiator hose that goes to the water pump?

Yes, you have to cut the hose.

I've never installed that kit, but I would think there would be no way around cutting it. What I wonder is how do you bolt the bottom of your shrouds down when the radiators no longer line up with the bolt holes?

That is what the kit is for. The brackets bolt to the frame, and the radiators bolt to the brackets, so everything gets shifted down. Then for the shrouds it is opposite, the brackets bolt to the radiator, and the shrouds bolt to the brackets.

I thought that the hose needed to be cut also. Then I watched Doug Dubach install the kit on a bike at Mammoth one year. He simply slid the hoses further onto the connector and radiator. Worked and looked good.

JB

thanks everybody for your answers

i'll try to slide down the hose, but if it doesn't work i'll cut it a little.

i'll let you know how it works out

thanks everybody for your answers

i'll try to slide down the hose, but if it doesn't work i'll cut it a little.

i'll let you know how it works out

Also let us know how it feels during cornering, after the lowering. I'm thinking of doing it to mine. Not sure if the average Joe will notice the difference.

A question - I have the stock header still. Does the Dr. D header sit lower than stock? I'm curious since they say it lowers the rads 1 inch, but when I look at the room between the bottom of my rads and my header it doesn't look like 1 inch. Maybe 3/4".

I have a 2009 yz450f with the dr.d pipe and lowering kit best money i ever spent the bike corners amazing with this set up. i was gonna sell the bike before i tried this set up. you have to cut the hose quite a bit i used a razor blade and left the hose right on the bike worked perfectly. You also need to have a dr.d exhaust or the lowering kit does not work.

maybe its just me,but i never felt the bike was that bad well once you put good tires on it and dial the suspension in.. ive never had a problem out cornering other brands.i believe alot of it is magazine hype "mxrag "a" said it handles bad" rag b says the opposite " or in other brands cases "frame is too rigid/not enough flex"...and average joe weekend warrior recites what he read next weekend...i had a friend who sounded like a tape recorder for the rags ...in reality he was a dead last c rider who if his tires left the ground it was by shear accident that swore all his problems were what the rags found wrong with his bike not his lack of skill and spent tons of money on all the "suggested upgrades" and is still the same....

i was given a lowering kit by a friend i put it on and noticed no difference really other than the anodized red peeking out behind the shrouds..lol in my opinion its all in the mind..people put on something that a magazine says is great and makes a huge improvement and people swear they feel the same....moving the radiators 3/4" or so.. really?.. lol but thats just my opinion

maybe its just me,but i never felt the bike was that bad well once you put good tires on it and dial the suspension in.. ive never had a problem out cornering other brands.i believe alot of it is magazine hype "mxrag "a" said it handles bad" rag b says the opposite " or in other brands cases "frame is too rigid/not enough flex"...and average joe weekend warrior recites what he read next weekend...i had a friend who sounded like a tape recorder for the rags ...in reality he was a dead last c rider who if his tires left the ground it was by shear accident that swore all his problems were what the rags found wrong with his bike not his lack of skill and spent tons of money on all the "suggested upgrades" and is still the same....

i was given a lowering kit by a friend i put it on and noticed no difference really other than the anodized red peeking out behind the shrouds..lol in my opinion its all in the mind..people put on something that a magazine says is great and makes a huge improvement and people swear they feel the same....moving the radiators 3/4" or so.. really?.. lol but thats just my opinion

I understand where you're coming from; most people put too much creedence in magazine reviews. Heck, half the time I wonder if they give good reviews because the manufacturer spends big advertising dollars in said mag.

So am I to assume that you run your bike bone stock, bendover? Not one aftermarket upgrade is worth it?

No there definately are aftermarket items that offer improvement whether it's performance or strength etc... But you have to be careful where the line between reality and hype is... I like flipping through the parts unlimited/Tucker /etc catalogs and reading the descriptions/claims of the hype parts... Some just scream out ridiculous... Lol....One that I saw yesterday was a billet aluminum head stay(upper motor mount)... That among other things listed "increase airflow to the carb resulting in increased hp".... Lmao... So the stock head stays are flexing so much it's allowing the airboot to fold and narrow?.. Haha ... My friend punched in the part #... And surprise surprise they sold 5 sets of those $90 must haves..lol

..Im not saying i run bone stock...over the years I've come to realize through personal experience most of the " hot widgets" are hype with little or no result aside from lightening my pocket.. Lol ....back in the early 90's I remember being at englishtown and watching a friend clean up 125a on a stock, beat bike...At which point I stopped buying into the mag/pit hype (we didn't have the Internet then.. Haha ) and started just riding the bikes and addressing the varying issues I personally found with them.....as far as my current 07 yz450 I have exhaust.... Which improved/relocated power ,better tire choice,grips,pro taper "twister" throttle, gripper seat,dialed in stock suspension,twin air filters,scotts SS oil filter,and a good chain... And I think that's about it ....

back in my "faster" days(racing local 125-250A/3 digit pro) on the 2 strokes we'd do suspension and motor work but the bikes have come a long way and as a weekend practice track ride for fun guy in my personal opinion I don't feel the bike needs more than what I've done to make it ride/handle better for my needs...

you should really ride a rmz 450 or the 09 crf if you think a yamaha corners just as good. Also you cant run the lowering kit without a DR.D. pipe. So do you have a DR.D pipe.

i have ridden the kawis ,hondas and suzukis...to me each has its own feel and personally ill stick with the yamaha rather than have all the trouble that my honda/kawi friends have had....

i didnt say the yamaha was the BEST turning bike out there ....but it certainly was not "this is the worst bike ever made"....i just said that i have had no problem out cornering other brands on it once i got it dialed in for me....and ill deal with adapting my riding style to it rather than spend more time working on the bike then riding it..haha...you have to set a bike up for you...not read a magazine review...hop on it like the dealer hands it to you and expect it to feel mint....then bash the bike and not have it be setup/rider error/learning the characteristics/way to ride it as the problem....

yes i do have a dr d..... which i mentioned just not by name"....as far as my current 07 yz450 I have exhaust.... Which improved/relocated power"....that i have had for quite a while now and a couple weeks ago a friend had the drd lowering kit in his trailer and gave it to me to try....i rode without it...came in and put it on..went back out....felt no "i was going to sell my bike but now i love it" difference...its on there and it was free its not worth the time to me to take it off since its not adversely affecting me itll stay on there...but would i suggest that someone go out and buy the exhaust and kit because its makes a noticible difference..absolutely not.... i have owned and raced the 5 main manufacturers over the years..i am openminded not a "yamaha is the best bike in the world" guy..for me yamaha was just the smartest overall choice

What is the purpose of lowering the radiators if its for cornering please explain, the bump stop is still going to hit once you turn so far or are you all trying to get better lower center of gravity?

What is the purpose of lowering the radiators if its for cornering please explain, the bump stop is still going to hit once you turn so far or are you all trying to get better lower center of gravity?

it lowers the center of gravity.

I vote I did notice a difference on my 09' with the lower rads..