1999 yz400f busted cam bracket

I was told buy the guy that i bought my bike from to post on this site to get some answers.

I was wondering where i can get a cam bracket for my 99 yz400f? I was on my way home today when all of a sudden my bike started acting up an then died. I bought it a little over a month ago and the guy told me that he just put a new timing chain in and well i guess he torked the bolts down too much as it pulled the treads out of the head:foul: and since they worked loose it broke the bracket that holds the front cam down.

Can i put a heli coil in the head or do i have to get another head?

Thanks alot, Joe100_1822.jpg100_1829.jpg

go to motosport.com i found they have the cheapest oem prices. a head for a yz426f cost 600 something so its probly about the same for a yz400f

Ya i checked they only go back to 2000 model year. Not 1999 like mine. I emailed 7 differnt places so we'll see who gets back to me.

Thanks anyway

im going to call that repair place tommorow you should too.

Ya I already emailed them. Im going to pull the head off tomorrow when i get home from work so if they can fix it i can get it shipped out asap.

Well engine dynamics emailed me back this morning and quoted me $200 and 2weeks to get it back so i think I'll be sending it in rather then buying a used one.?:worthy: Plus you never really know what your getting when you buy used. And to me $200 sounds alot better then $400+

called them but they couldnt tell me a price so i have to email pics for a rough estimate. what all are they going to do to your head?

Heres a copy of the email they sent me.

"Hi Joe

Over torqued bolts are a common problem. Your first photo is a little out of focus to see properly but we get the idea. Without having the pieces in hand to inspect, I would have to quote an approx. cost of repair to be $200.00 and about 2 weeks in the shop, depending on when it is received. We would need the head, the cam tower and cam if you have one.

Jenny"

I emailed them back again about what they are all going to do and if they will readjust all the valves for me but no answer yet. I also noticed when i took the intake cam off to get to the head bolt the 2 right side bolts were loose also ? . The guy that put this together must not own a tork wrench. And their was alot of that copper stop leak stuff stuck on the water jacket slots in the head gasket so I'll have to check the radiators over.

img]<blockquote data-ipsQuote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="grayracer513" data-cite="grayracer513" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="720139" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The copper "stuff" is more likely CopperKoat gasket sealer.  Don

I thought it might be some kind of gasket sealer but their was alot of copper colored "shavings" in the antifreeze when i drained it. Plus the left radiator is smashed in almost 3/4" so i assume it might of had bin leaking I already have the head boxed up and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I was wondering if you know what these engraving #s mean. The one thats upside down looks like lXF32 and the bottom one is 6JCR40

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/jj1479/100_1834.jpg' alt='100_1834.jpg'>

• 2 weeks later...