HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wiz636

Scorpion Racing Radiator Guards

9 posts in this topic

I finally got around to installing the Scorpion Racing radiator guards that have been sitting on my workbench for a couple weeks and I must say that I am very impressed.

Every once in awhile you buy something that is even better than you hoped for and these fall into that category. I have used a couple other brands of radiator guards and they were always a PITA to install and required louver cutting or shroud trimming and even removal of the stock YZ braces that are on the newer models.

The Scorpions are burly. They are machined perfectly. Extra effort was put into the design so that they can be used with the stock braces in place, with the existing louvers (without modfication), and without having to trim the shrouds. They can be installed easily without having to remove the radiator hoses, and they look great.

To top it all off they have great customer service...The owner (Steve) is a rider and hand delivered them to me at a race.

There are FIVE cross braces, three in back and two in front, and they are much beefier than the big-name manufacturers. The sides are machined out of billet aluminum. Very nicely I might add.

Here you can see the inner plate machined so that you can use them with the stock braces.

IMG00129-20090816-1129.jpg

Here you can see the stout cross braces and the recessed cross brace screws on the outboard sideplate. The lower louver is screwed ONLY to the radiator lower tab, and the lower shroud bolt screws into the the Scorpion's own tab so you do not have to try to make all three line up :thumbsup: Shroud installation was a breeze with out pushing/pulling/tweeking.

I give this product a 10/10!

IMG00131-20090816-1150.jpg

1 person likes this

Wow, those do look extremely stout and also stylish. Great writeup, Where can you get them and how much do they run?

Hehe I was just repairing my braces the other day and thought to myself that when I were to design radiator braces, they would be simple in design, 6 cross braces (ok, here`s 5) and everything made of a bit beefier parts then those poor dented braces I see every now and then.

Wow, those do look extremely stout and also stylish. Great writeup, Where can you get them and how much do they run?

They are in British Columbia...keep in mind that the prices are in CDN so if you are paying with US dollars it is less.

http://www.scorpionracing.ca/

Looks like they are doing free shipping to the US right now.

They are, in fact, so beefy that I wonder if they present a danger of breaking the radiator lugs off the frame....

Nicely done. I particularly like the feature of having two discreet bolts for the louver and shroud.

Scorpion also makes a couple of good looking skidders for the YZF/WR.

You have to hand it to those guys, they make a nice product. I only realized they were around and only 15 minutes away from me AFTER I bought my guarding.:thumbsup:

They are, in fact, so beefy that I wonder if they present a danger of breaking the radiator lugs off the frame....

I doubt it. Shouldn't be any worse than billet aluminum, like the bulletproof designs guards (http://bulletproofdesigns.com/Yamaha.htm). I have run them for years and taken some nasty spills with no issues.