Scott vs. Ohlins 2.0 steering dampener for my 09' YZ450

Gray, Is the Scotts dampener unit itself the same weather it was initially sold for street or MX. I found a used one from an 03' R1. I figure if it is the same, I will just get a mount.

Thanks!

As far as I know, it is the same unit. The extensive adjustability of the unit makes it possible for it to serve a number of applications well.

I was told that the dampers are different internally. different damping and shims. may be able to be adjusted but not the same. plus unit should be rebuilt every year anyways. cost of used damper+rebuild almost as much as a new one.

Gray, Is the Scotts dampener unit itself the same weather it was initially sold for street or MX. I found a used one from an 03' R1. I figure if it is the same, I will just get a mount.

Thanks!

There is one substantial difference between the street and dirt versions of the Scotts:

If it was made for street then it has return to center damping. If it was made for MX then it has no return to center damping. Other than that there is not much internal difference. Some guys who like the adjustability of the Scotts but prefer the return to center damping of some of the other brands get the Scotts street version.

I just got the MX version because that's what the majority of dirt bikers get from Scotts. Also I have ridden with my buddies GPR and don't like the stiff feeling it gives with the return to center damping.

Nate

I just got off the phone with the guy from Scott's. He said the internal valving is different. I didn't ask him about return to center dampening. I'm gonna get the MX version new and call it good.

Thanks again for everything guys!!

I just got off the phone with the guy from Scott's. He said the internal valving is different. I didn't ask him about return to center dampening. I'm gonna get the MX version new and call it good.

Thanks again for everything guys!!

The valving is different; one dampens back to center the other does not. Either way the Scotts is a great choice.

Hoe hard would it be to convert road version to off-road version? Is it simply a matter of shuffling shims or is there more differences?

Hoe hard would it be to convert road version to off-road version? Is it simply a matter of shuffling shims or is there more differences?

Not sure, you might shoot an email to Scotts. I would assume it is no more difficult than changing the valving in a fork or shock. Whether it is cost effective or not is another issue.

Nate

There are no shims in a Scotts damper. The damper is essentially a large chamber with a vane that moves the oil from one side of the chamber to the other via small orifices. I imagine changing the diameter of these orifices would serve the same function as re-shimming/valving in order to effect damping.