HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
e30M3

Clarification on a couple of things on an '09

4 posts in this topic

First, I assume the '09 comes with the new steering head bearing, I have read that the "new" ones have some type of seal. Is my assumption right or should I be looking for a new bearing?

I have also read that the GYTR offroad flywheel is a must for offroad. Is it also a worthwhile upgrade if I only ride MX?

Also, it seems the exhaust cam from an '06 would wake up the bottom. Wondering what the consesus is, is the cam "needed" if you put on a good exaust? If someone was going to only do one (the cam or exhaust) which would be the best bang for your buck (assuming a Dr. D system was the choice for exaust).

You're going to need to look and see which bearing was installed on your '09. It should be the new type, but there's only one way to know.

The heavier flywheel is an improvement, IMO, regardless of how the bike is used, and takes nothing away from the engine in terms of power.

The DRD stainless is a great value in an exhaust system, and if you spend a few dollars more to get it with the spark arrestor, it's even more versatile. A good exhaust will add more mid range than the cam will in the case of the '08-9 by a considerable amount, but if it doesn't do enough, you can add the cam later.

You're going to need to look and see which bearing was installed on your '09. It should be the new type, but there's only one way to know. QUOTE]

Is there a simple way to tell. When I had the bike apart there was a rubber type seal that went over the bearing. This "seal" had a metal disk (for a lack of a better description) in the middle of the rubber portion. With that said it doesn't look all that different than what is on my '02 426?

The part that was changed is the bearing "cone" assembly itself (inner race, cage, and rollers). The seal is built into that, and seals directly to the outer race. You can't see it without disassembling the upper bearing.

It is completely unclear as to when the new 78 bearing went into, or will go into the line assemblies. No one has said definitively. You cannot now order the old 68 bearing, as it comes up as being superseded by the 78.