Axle block question.

How far back do you let yours get before you either cut the chain or buy a new one? I had my local dealer put a new chain on and they set it to the same spot my old chain was at. Compared to a new bike on the showroom floor, mne sits back about an inch. other than it stretching more in the future, is it fine to leave or should I have them take a link out?

To answer the second question first, having the axle farther back increases the weight on the front, and aides cornering as a result. This position is favored by the factory Yamaha team riders.

As to when the chain should be replaced, that's in the manual, on page 3-16. The '08 manual shows measuring 15 links (from one pin to the sixteenth pin away from that) 15 links of 5/8" chain should measure 9.375" (9 3/8"). They put the wear limit at 9.563" (9 9/16"), which is two percent longer than new, and is a pretty standard limit to adhere to. I prefer to use a stricter limit of 1-1.5% (9.46-9.52").

Older manuals show a method of measuring 10 links using a vernier caliper from the inside of the first roller to the inside of the 11th. This dimension should be 5.85" when new, and Yamaha's two percent is 6". I replace at 5.95"

Using quick and rough math based on Gray's chain wear specs I would say that if you have enough room left to adjust your axle back another .714" then you are okay. Once you need to adjust back any more than that you should replace your chain.

I should have been more clear. The chain is new. I'm just questioning where the axle block should have set to. It's DID erv3. X ring. I have good luck with it in the past as far as stretching goes. How far back to you set your axle block when you install a new chain? On the left side of the bike, looking at the chain block. Counting from the outside in, I'm right at the 5th tick mark.

As far back as practical, as I said. Mine, right now, with the chain stretched about 0.4%, is at a point where about 1/4" of the slot is visible behind the block.

What I was saying is that starting with a new chain, as you adjust it as it wears (stretches) you will eventually need to move your axle back roughly .7inches at which point your chain will have stretched out of spec and need to be replaced. So if you still have .7" of adjustability from your current position with your new chain then you are okay and do not need to remove a link.

Please forgive my ignorance, but aren't you supposed to set the chain according to a certain distance above the swing arm( the slop, when unloaded), and when it has been stretched the 'given' amount, then replace it?

Please forgive my ignorance, but aren't you supposed to set the chain according to a certain distance above the swing arm( the slop, when unloaded), and when it has been stretched the 'given' amount, then replace it?

Thanks Wiz636, I get what your saying now.

USMCPAUl. When I bought my new chain it wasn't the same length as the stock one. So the dealer when they installed it had to remove a couple links. After that they installed it at the same position my last chain was at. So my new fresh chain is the same length as my old stretched chain. But I think it will be okay.

Thanks guys.