Trials Tire on 300 XCW

i ran one on my 300exc (2002 model). All my riding buddies on 300's use them in the mountains. We ride loose rocky shaley rooty steep mountain trails with steep climbs, many stream crossings, and many boulder-gardens. All brands are represented, but most seem to be on michelins because those are easy to find locally.

I run michelins on my 250. I likeit about 8 to 10 psi. Single track mostly hard pack with some rocks. I like it for single track and play ridding. If I have to go fast on connecting trails for extended periods of time I prefer a knobby. If I were to only have 1 tire it would be a trials tire.

Trials are amazing!! Have a couple 300 with them mounted on and sometimes i switch one back to a knobby to see what i'm missing and there is nothing missing when running a trials tire. They just work everywhere a knobby does and beeter most places than a knobby. i have the dunnlop 803 and mitas. Really cant tell a difference between them and the mitas is under $70. Want to try a michelin next if i ever wear out the trilas i have, they wear 10 times longr than any knobby.

I run one on my 300. Very impressed at the traction even when wet. Have used both the Pirelli and Michelin. The plus for the Pirelli is that its DOT approved, If I want to put it on my dual sport.

At 6 psi it really hooked but flexed allot in turns. If you the type that skids or slides into turns better get used to it. Once the wheel is locked up the tread loads and it really slides.

Want to try a michelin next if i ever wear out the trilas i have, they wear 10 times longr than any knobby.

Has everyone had this same experience with wear? I just put on my first trials tire two rides ago and its already pretty warn. The trails I rode were really rocky and technical and required a bit of throttle even on the rocks.(yes a better rider could do it without the throttle) BTW im running a dunlop.

Other than that i thought they worked great in the rocks and technical stuff, they stick wayy beter and hold a line over off camber ruts and roots but they do not corner as well at speed. If you want to be a burm killer a knoby is the way to go. I cant wait to try the trials out this winter in the wet/technical i hear that is where they shine the most.

Ian

I have heard tire wear is pretty good on the trials tire. I ride with some folks who put several hundred hours a year on trials tires and they usually last them a year. I am hoping for one a year. I'll let you know how it works for me -- I'm going to see if I can get one on in time for my next ride which promises to be a typical Idaho singletrack technical rockfest.

I've got an 05 300EXC, so basically the bike you are asking about just a few years older. I have used a Mitas, a Dunlop and am currently on a Pirreli. I use 8 or 9 PSI and have loved all three. They work great in all conditions and all terrain I have ridden. I love the high mountain technical riding and that is what I use it for. My first year I also used it in the Desert during the winter, however since then I have been doing some desert racing and so I went back to a knobby for that, for two reasons, the knobby has enough traction in the desert anyway and I worry less about a pinch flats with the knobby. I have not had problems flatting with a trials tire but I just figured better safe than sorry as I have heard others flatting with a trials tire.

Another key advantage is that they do not tear up the trail. I was riding up in the Whiteclouds earlier this year and had to pass a large group of hikers going up a rough, rocky, rooty, loose, steep climb. On the way back down I stopped and talked to each and everyone (they were spread out over about 3 miles). Two of them commented how they were looking for my tracks tearing up the trail and they actually had a hard time even seeing my tracks at all. I was able to educate a whole group of people on what riding a motorcycle in the backcountry was actually like and that we are not loud and smelly machines tearing up mother earth. I think a few of them started to think it was stupid to try and be locking us out of that area which has been an area the anti access croud has been working on for a while.

Try one, I bet you like it.

Has everyone had this same experience with wear? I just put on my first trials tire two rides ago and its already pretty warn. The trails I rode were really rocky and technical and required a bit of throttle even on the rocks.(yes a better rider could do it without the throttle) BTW im running a dunlop.

If you spin the tire alot in rocks or roots, it doesn't work very well and can wear the tire out prematurely. I'm not a tire-spinner, and I got well over 3000 idaho mountain miles out of my dunlop 803 last year.

I'm going to see if I can get one on in time for my next ride which promises to be a typical Idaho singletrack technical rockfest.

It will come in handy on the ride to custer lookout. You can probably get up there no problem even with a knobby, but it'll be easier (and easier on the trail) with a trials tire, esp if conditions are dry and loose, which they hopefully won't be.

Other than that i thought they worked great in the rocks and technical stuff, they stick wayy beter and hold a line over off camber ruts and roots but they do not corner as well at speed. If you want to be a burm killer a knoby is the way to go. I cant wait to try the trials out this winter in the wet/technical i hear that is where they shine the most.

Ian

Running too much air, I found really tears up a trials tire. It makes the body of the tire too hard and forces the flex in the knobs to do all the work. Your really missing out on the advantages of the tire if you run too much air.

FYI, I'm 250lbs w/o gear and ride a dual sported crf450r-well over 500lbs combined, and i run 10lbs of air in my 803:thumbsup:

I have a Michelin Tube style trials tire on my 08 300XC-W and it works great in the rocks, roots, dust and mud of the Pacific Northwest. I run 8-10 psi in a heavy duty tube and have no problems at all. The tire has 350 miles on it right now and hardly shows any wear. I like the Michelin because they are soft and spongy and grip everything they come in contact with. My riding buddy is constantly changing S-12 and M-12 tires after they shed their knobs so I can say in the long run they are more economical. I even used it on a MX track with great results. You should have no problem riding with one.

I have run trials tires off and on for the last 4 years on my 200 and 400 and they work great some of the time but not all of the time. They work best in slippery wet conditions. They provide the biggest advantage for less skilled riders and less of an adavantage for good riders. I have a Michelin on my bike now but will be switching back to a knobby for my next tire to try a knobby with the Tubliss system. I will have to start selling the take off tires from my trials bike. Taddy has won all the big races with a knobby.

I have run trials tires off and on for the last 4 years on my 200 and 400 and they work great some of the time but not all of the time. They work best in slippery wet conditions. They provide the biggest advantage for less skilled riders and less of an adavantage for good riders. I have a Michelin on my bike now but will be switching back to a knobby for my next tire to try a knobby with the Tubliss system. I will have to start selling the take off tires from my trials bike. Taddy has won all the big races with a knobby.

That explains why switching to a trials tire made a big difference for me. I'm definitely in the 'less skilled' category. I just installed a Tubliss on the rear with the Pirelli MT43. Now I'm a little more comfortable down at 8 psi than I was with a tube. I'm amazed at the traction difference between 11 psi and 8 psi. Time to drop it a bit further.

Between the trials tire and the Rekluse, I can crawl up stuff that I have no business riding at my skill level. It's made riding a lot more fun for me.

I run a D803 on my '08 300 XCW. I love this tire and have been helped convince a few friends to switch to them as well.

I'm very happy with the performance I get from the tire in all conditions. In fact, the nastier the trail, the better the tire performs compared to a knobby.

1000 miles is really the norm for wear on these tires...Llama will get three times the wear out of a D803 because he doesn't spin his tire much if at all. I still brake turn and spin on accelleration sometimes...

IMO they are fantastic trail riding tires...gentle on the trail and provide tons of spongy grip. I can't think of a reason for me to switch back to a knobby. Oh yeah...several of us race the NCHSA harescramble series as well...on trials tires!

-Jay

Taddy has won all the big races with a knobby.

Not true he won last years Erzberg on a trials as well as hells gate. This year he ran a radial knobby with low pressure much like a trials. Also they banned Trials tires from endurocross to make it more challenging according to this months dirtrider endurocross special.

I have run a trials tire for years. I have tried them all of them but my favorite right now is the tube type Michelin, second choise would be the IRC. For any technical riding they are like cheating, its like riding on VELCRO. Pick any line and you will make it. They last a lot longer than a knobby and are eaisier on the trail. The GREENIES are always complaining about how dirtbike rut up the trail so run a trials tire and TREAD LIGHTLY. Some people give me a lot of crap for running a trials tire but they haven't run one. Don't judge a tire on looks alone.

Trials are amazing!! Have a couple 300 with them mounted on and sometimes i switch one back to a knobby to see what i'm missing and there is nothing missing when running a trials tire. They just work everywhere a knobby does and beeter most places than a knobby. i have the dunnlop 803 and mitas. Really cant tell a difference between them and the mitas is under $70. Want to try a michelin next if i ever wear out the trilas i have, they wear 10 times longr than any knobby.

Can´t really agree.

They are good and better than knobbys in most conditions except deep mud and in the wetlands where you cant get traction even with trial tires.

As soon as they loose traction they are useless, especially when going down a steep track and panic-situations like when animals steps out in front of you.

(I have the dunlop 803 one)