HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fozzo717

Submerging Bike in River

7 posts in this topic

Over the weekend I was riding (02 yz426) in the mountains when I came to what I thought was a shallow creek. I punched it through in 1st only to get to about the middle and be completely submerged up to my neck. I excelerated all the way through and the bike never stalled. I was at least 10 miles out so no matter what I wasn't going to stop and check it out. When I got back I checked the oil and it looked fine and the air filter looked and felt fine. The next day the bike ran fine? Can these bikes take that kind of thing? I thought for sure that I had done major damage?

I droped my in a flooded creek and it got water everywhere... Tank, carb everything never tried to start it just pulled it back to my truck went home and got to work after about 3 days i got all the water out took about 4 oil changes and some carb work ect but got it done and the bike ran great... If the bike never stoped running the only problem you might have is with the air box guess you got lucky

When I First got my 426, I accidentally flew in to a pond and summered the whole bike. It was running when it summered and I assumed it hydro locked. the next day I drained all of gas out of the tank and carb, replaced the air filter, and changed the oil. ran it for about 2 minutes, changed the oil and the filter. I did that 2 more times. That whole fiasco happened 4 years ago when the bike only had 10 hours on it.

If you rode it all the way through, you essentially punched a hole in the water and got away with it that way. If the oil had taken on a significant amount of water, you'd see it as having turned milky.

Might be wise to check the bottom of the carb.

And if you really are worried about it clean your filter drain your gas and do an oil change... Would not hurt anyways and would be on the safe side... But like gray said... If you made it and it did not die you should be good... But still nothing wrong with being safe

Over the weekend I was riding (02 yz426) in the mountains when I came to what I thought was a shallow creek. I punched it through in 1st only to get to about the middle and be completely submerged up to my neck. I excelerated all the way through and the bike never stalled. I was at least 10 miles out so no matter what I wasn't going to stop and check it out. When I got back I checked the oil and it looked fine and the air filter looked and felt fine. The next day the bike ran fine? Can these bikes take that kind of thing? I thought for sure that I had done major damage?

be glad you punched it, you are one lucky soul.....keep an eye on the color of the oil and drain the carb, you should be fine:thumbsup: