purchase a 03 YZF450?

I am a 250 2-stroke owner and have a chance to buy a 2003 YZF450. I am interested but also completely clueless when it comes to 4 strokes.

What's the general opinion of that year bike? And if you were going to look at a 03, what would be indications of problems. They claim it has sat a bunch and was never raced...probably every body says that.

Also, what is a good price for that bike?

I know I'm new to this forum but I've been a round a little on the 2 stroke forums, thanks for any advice...I really appreciate the knowledge here.

I love my 03 YZ450F.. I picked mine up for $2500 just over a year ago. I have nothing to compare it to as I came from sport bikes. It's plenty for me. So far, the motor has been bullet proof. Starts with one or two kicks every time.

iu have a 04 and mines is blown up in the shop right now but when it runs it cant be beat and aroun 1500-2500 is a good price

I love my 03 450 after coming off of a cr500 this bike is great. It has alot of and very nice smooth "usable" power, not big hit and its easy to start. You'll find it will have a heavier feel than your 250 TS but you'll get used to it. If you pay over the 2500 - 2600 range it better be in show room condition with the factory tires still on it.

If $2500+ is reasonable for a near showroom quality '03 YZ450F, then what should the average one go for? $1800-2000?

I have had my 2003 yz450f for three years. It is solid. I agree that you shouldn't pay over $2,500, because I'm picking up a 2009 or 2010 and you can have mine for $2,000 easy. Having said that, I love it and may end up keeping it around for a backup bike.

The bike is good, but anyone telling you it is smooth isn't telling you how they got to smooth. The power on the 2003 comes on hard for a 450 and the bike really feels strong, lots of hit. Add a flywheel weight and it's a sweet ride.:ride:

What else to look at? Suspension, Suspension, Suspension. I had mine done at Factory Connection and it changed the bike completely in a good way. I added the Scotts stabilizer also.:worthy: Sweet.

Raced it two weeks ago in the quasi-old and slow class, 2-1 motos. The bike is good enough to podium every weekend if I can keep my but on it. I don't ever feel like someone on the line has a major motor advantage on me.:thumbsup:

I'd like it to turn a little better, but I think that rider error is more limiting than the bike.

I have the standard carb mods on mine, White Bros pipe, pro-tapers, the under the bar scotts dampner with their triple clamps, aluminum throttle, ASV levers, black wheels (cuz I'm a poser:moon: ) radiator guards, FC suspension and shock bearing, Dr. d flywheel weight, jetting, and lots of crap I don't remmember. You can really do alot to the bike, and honestly, I've passed plenty of guys on KX500s, cuz this is Wyoming, and there are plenty rolling around the right race.

I think that if you get a good deal on that bike, you'll be very happy coming of a two stoke, and onto it. Start it up and give it a twist, see if you like it. Pay less than two so you have money for suspension and a flywheel weight. And don't let your buddies burrow it.

Good luck,

I got a 05 for $2000 last friday.. Took it out for a ride this weekend did some jumps and hit the trails a little and i LOVE IT.. Only problem i was having was turning and i think its just cause i came from a smaller bike and im sure i will get used to it because just in 3-4 hours of riding it really got to where i was not noticing it at all...

I made the jump from a YZ 250 to an '04 YZ 450 last year, and I am glad I did. It will be a strange transition at first, but you will love it after you get used to it. With a good suspension setup, the bike will run fairly close to the newer 450s. I don't find myself at a disadvantage at all.

.....Only problem i was having was turning and i think its just cause i came from a smaller bike and im sure i will get used to it because just in 3-4 hours of riding it really got to where i was not noticing it at all...

Same here. It takes a little getting used to.

PS I would offer about $2,000-2,200 for it :thumbsup:

I made the jump from a YZ 250 to an '04 YZ 450 last year, and I am glad I did. It will be a strange transition at first, but you will love it after you get used to it. With a good suspension setup, the bike will run fairly close to the newer 450s. I don't find myself at a disadvantage at all.

Same here. It takes a little getting used to.

PS I would offer about $2,000-2,200 for it :thumbsup:

a little geting used to and its well worth the trouble... Lol I came from a Rm125 with 144 bore on it and i am loving the extra power out of the turns and at low end... I used to say i never wanted a 4 stroke but i never want to set foot on a 2 stroke again now...

Sorry guys my prices may be a little scewed I live in Canada and all the fun stuff cost a little more up here. My 450 came from Minneapolis ...drove for 6.5 hours and saved atleast 1500 on it compared to one from up here.

Like I said compared to a big 2 stroke 500 the '03 450's power hit is very managable, haven't had the chance to try a newer one out yet with the smoother power curve.

I also rebuilt my whole engine and found it to be not as hard as I expected if you read and follow the manual (which is a must have).