Is WR426 overflow bottle needed???

Do I really need to keep htis heavy overflow bottle on my wr I never notice it getting hot with it on their?? I figure it might save a pound or two if i take it off. Thanks for any Advice,jim

I have used mine a couple of times. But the trails I ride can be slow and rocky. YZ's don't have one so you probably don't need it.

WR426, you probably can get away without it but, why? I think that overflow bottle is great. I wish I had one on my KTM. The amount of weight you would save by getting rid of it is trivial. In my honest opinion, I think the advantages of having it outweigh the minscule extra weight added. Just my .02 cents.

Not to say that you need or dont need the overflow bottle but there is a definate weight to it. Remember, the overflow bottle may only weigh 3/4 of a pound but a gallon of water will weigh in at a little over 8 pounds! It all adds up.

BTW, Ive been running without my overflow sense my bike was new. Ive yet had to put any water in it.

It really depends on what type of riding your doing. If you're riding a lot of fast stuff then I would say take it off. However, if you're riding a lot of slow stuff or you ever ride dunes then I would say leave it on. My 02 is always slurping coolant in and out of it.

Slow plonking WILL overheat your bike >> the reservoir is nice insurance to have. For fast riding and/or cool temps you are all set >> remove it.

If you remove your overflow indefinitely, you can install a YZ side panel (on the left side >> It is sleeker and does not protrude so much.

I carry maybe ~< 1 qt. in my overflow.

Water weighs 8#/gallon.

Salt [sea] water weighs 8.8#/gallon.

Coolant is somewhere in between.

>> We are looking at 2# + hose and bottle weight.

If you remove it, do you need to replace the radiator cap? My guess is that the YZ has a different cap that does not allow coolant to flow out.

Personally, I would'nt remove it. My '02 will overheat in a couple of minutes if I leave it running while waiting for the trail to clear ahead of me, or while waiting for others to catch up. If you do remove it, I would recommend that you kill the motor whenever you need to stop for, say, more than 1/2 minute. As far as the weight, minimal. I did'nt check, but my guess is that when the tank is a proper level, less than a pint of coolant is present.

My opinion is that it is excellent insurance against expensive engine repairs.

All Caps (Including the YZ) allow for venting, If not your Rad's would explode when over pressureized.

Bonzai :)

Originally posted by wr426:

Do I really need to keep htis heavy overflow bottle on my wr I never notice it getting hot with it on their?? I figure it might save a pound or two if i take it off. Thanks for any Advice,jim

I see you are from roseville.

If you ride foresthill it will be 50/50 that you need it. Personally I swapped the subframe out and just run a 1.8bar rad cap off of an '01 kx65.

I haven't had any boil over issues but the catch tank is good insurance.

Do a search. I can't count the number of threads from guys that took it off and had problems....