Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmckinney

426 Advice Keep or Sale????

4 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 YZ426 that' due for a rebuild, actually way past overdue... The bike has always ran great but, recently started burning oil. I have figured it will cost between $400 and $700 for a valve job, new pistons and rings. It's alos due for all new bearings in the shock linkage.

The bike is set up for trail riding with bark busters, kick stand, fly wheel weight, re-valved forks, auto decomp, etc... Is it worth selling the bike and starting all over?

I really don't want to spend more then $3500 on a new/used bike and I'm considering buying a 2005 or newer YZ250, YZ450f, YZ250f, WR450 or just about any KTM.

My first bike was a KX500 and then the YZ426. Over the years I have found that more power is not always the answer and that why I'm considering a 250.

Any advice would be helpful.

Keep it! It's lasted you this long most likely with minimal work needed. If you like it then just spend the money to fix it. I will always keep mine....

Would a new bike be fun? Sure but that's a lot of money to spend

I also have a 426. My question would be if you buy another 2nd hand bike you won't know when it's going to need a top end or lower end.